What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What specific colors of yellow?

RV9A Bill

Well Known Member
My 9a is getting pretty far along (although I am really slow) and I intend to
Use yellow paint with red trim. What kinds of yellow have some of used?
Thanks.
RV9A Bill

Need more input

There's a lot of different yellow's out there, so you need to provide a little more input on what you're looking for. Is it more of a pale pastel yellow, a brighter lemon yellow, or maybe the AN Yellow that you see on military PT-17 Stearmans and other training aircraft?

There are a couple of considerations in deciding on a yellow paint color. In choosing a color for my '8' I looked around for a color in the real world, usually on a vehicle that could be identified by a paint supplier. Mine is a slightly modified yellow from a Kenworth truck. The big problem with yellow is that it is one of the worst colors for covering. Since my color scheme is a white/yellow two-tone, we painted the entire airplane white, then added the yellow. Painting yellow over a mix of surfaces, various primers for example, could be very frustrating. Pro painters have a test card with a black and white checkerboard to test the covering ability of the paint. One of the first yellows we tried took 8 coats to cover the checkerboard.

DSCN0246-1.jpg

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Go to your selected painter or paint store first

Go to your selected painter or paint store first and coordinate with them. They will only work with certain paints based on too many things to get into here. They will have the color chips with the numbers for you to identify as your choice. You have to make that choice based on your eye. If you like Van's yellow selections, you could contact them directly and ask the brand and colors they selected. We had our airplane (well two of them actually) painted with Imron - one was clear coated and one was not. Both came out great and held up well but Imron is dangerous stuff for humans and is being regulated in more and more restrictive ways. Type and brand are going to be more critical than the color chip number in you selection process I suspect. Good Luck.

Bob Axsom

Yellow

I used the PPG "Dynamite Yellow" with PPG "Balloon Red" trim on a Yak- It was a great combination!

PJ

Bob's got it right. You may be able to ask for a test if you want to see two colors side-by-side to be sure they work together. But the chips are definitely the place to start with.

Thanks!

Thanks. I like the brighter yellows, actually something like I remember
On the that first RV9 that I saw at osh many years ago.
Bill

This is the airplane I just sold, it was Pepsi White and Volkswagon Yellow, both are available through a local auto paint store. I liked the yellow and may do the same scheme with the 8 I hope complete sooner than later. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill,

As suggested in pervious posts, have your base colors in mind and talk to your painter. My painter put my iniial suggested colors together and they clashed. Spend time looking at paint samples with your painter or someone with a good eye for colors. Altering the tint of the a base color can make a world of difference.

I used S/W acroglo for the gloss and ease of repair. I did go thru the S/W factory course at Wichita, KS. I decided not to paint my own aircraft.

I used a local aircraft painter and did all disassembly and reassembly of the flight controls/ canopy for the paint process.

yellow....and.....?

Good points here.....another idea I tried; I prepped a bunch of 1'x 2' chunks of masonite, ( enamelled hardboard?) the cheapest, flat white surface that I could find, and took it to my local bodyshop. For a case of beer, they agreed to shoot some colour on my panels whenever they did a car in a colour that I might like ( in your case, yellow, red etc.)
when I took these panels out in the sun, laid them beside one another, or on another colour car, made a HUGE difference in appearance!

note: be sure you're not one of the 7% of men that have a colour deficiency before you start going thru colour chips etc.
...of course, if you are married, the whole colour choice thing is almost entirely out of your hands anyway ! :)

I took paint chip books home and started selecting colors. took them outside, threw some away, picked some, changed my mind. talked with my painter friend, picked some others because he couldn't get certain shades in the paint we were using).
In the end I picked '07 Hyundai "Sunburst" Yellow, 09 Dodge "PlumCrazy" Purple, and 70? AMC "Badass" Green(used on Javalins). I told everyone you'll either love it or puke.

RV-7build1133.jpg

polson155.jpg

if you plan to paint it yourself (and even if you do not), most paint shops have an automotive reference book that maps their paint supply to the automotive equivalent. So, if you like the "2001 Mercedes yellow" use that info when talking to your painter or paint supply.

Corvette Yellow

or

Harley Davidson Yellow

Both Harley and Corvette have good and vibrant colors to select from.

Yellow

Yellow on my Chevelle in my Avatar is Ford Chrome Yellow.....but please don't tell my chevy friends I have a Ford color on my car. They will not park next to me at the car shows......LOL

yellow

thanks longranger.... !

gee... who was that masked man?

(me too)

you wouldn't believe how long i sat trying to do what you just did.

thanks longranger.... !

gee... who was that masked man?

(me too)

you wouldn't believe how long i sat trying to do what you just did.

Glad to be of service! What goes in the IMG tag is a link to a picture file. I think you had a link to the page it was on. To get the file link, go to the page and right click on the picture and select "Properties". Somewere on the pop-up that appears will be a line called Address (URL), usually starting with "http" and ending with ".jpg. Copy that URL to your clipboard (Ctrl-C if you're running Windows), then paste it (Ctrl-V) between the image tags in your post. Picky-a$$ed software... it should just KNOW what we want it to do!:D

Back