What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rough River Dam State Park Fly-in

N941WR

Legacy Member
Come join us at Kentucky's Rough River Dam State Resort Park on Memorial Day weekend, May 27 through May 30, 2011.

This is an official non-event. Meaning there is no schedule, no talks, and no BS. But there will be friendly RV types so come and enjoy a weekend in the country.

Both cottages and rooms are available, as well as tent camping for those who want to rough it.

To reserve your room, call 1-800-325-1713 and tell them you are with the VAF group. (Also, reply to this thread so I can make sure we have enough rooms.)

The park offers, boating, fishing, golf, hiking, and more.

The park's runway is 3,200' long and is paved, runway so A's are more than welcome.

FYI - This is in a dry county, so plan accordingly.

Rough River

Rough River is a great place...

It's becoming a great fly-in destination. Was there a few years ago with the Europa group and the Canard guys have been going there for several years.

Will see you there if all goes well.

The canard flyers were there last weekend. I was there visiting with the group because I was going to build a Cozy at one time before I started hanging out at a grass strip. They always have the last weekend in September or the first weekend in October depending how it hits the calendar. Its always a relaxed weekend with people just checking out the planes or socializing.

Even if I'm not flying by then I'll come down for a day or two. Its about two hours drive from my house.

If this becomes anything like the canard fly-in make sure to get rooms/cottages real, real early. Because this is a holiday weekend you need to get ahead of the non-flyers as well. There is a shower in the restrooms at the air strip. There is also a couple mom & pop motels within walking distance as well. There is no fuel sold on site. The state quit doing that a few years back.

I am interested but does anyone know the cancellation policy in case of bad flying weather? I guess I could check with the lodge but thought I'd pose the question here first.

Great place to have an event BUT there are no taxiways there so things can get hectic with a bunch of airplanes in the pattern.

I am interested but does anyone know the cancellation policy in case of bad flying weather? I guess I could check with the lodge but thought I'd pose the question here first.

You have seven days prior to the event to cancel.

I suggest you watch the weather and cancel, if it looks bad. Worst case, you cancel, the weather clears, you toss a tent in the plane, and meet us there.

What's the status on this?

Haven't heard much on this and May is approaching fast? Is this still on people's radar as a gathering?

As Bob said, no taxiways. Also, there is very limited parking on pavement. A couple dozen airplanes max.

However, there is paved parking at BOTH ends of the strip. The south end is used to access the 2 nearby restaurants. The north end is close to the lodge and cabins, but expect a 1/4 mile walk to get to them.

Of more practical importance is to BRING YOUR TIEDOWNS AND CHOCKS. If you don't, be sure to pay your insurance premium before leaving. Here's why: As I mentioned, parking is limited, but there is plenty of grassy hillside to park on assuming it's not muddy. The hillside varies from fairly level to "Oh no! There goes my plane!" We had a C-140 roll away on a recent visit. No damage, just embarrassment. So, bring your chocks and tiedowns or you'll be sorry.

Runways are 2/20 elevation is 577'

Rough River airnav

Rough River

Great place for a Fly-In. Our flying club goes to Rough River all the time for breakfast. I?m in for a day of RV fun. Will not need a room only 30-minute flight home to DCY.
Squeak
RV7A
Jasper, IN

Put us down for two RV-7's; my nose dragger and my hangar mates tail dragger; plus our wives of course. Only 30 minutes from Evansville so it will be a day trip.

Here's a pic from the last time I was at Rough River. This pic is taken from the ramp which, if the weather is nice, will be full before the "show" starts. This pic is taken with my back towards the golf course. I'm not be the harbinger of bad news but if the weather is nice, I have seen this weekend make for a very busy traffic pattern.....as in look for the guys calling a left downwind with, in fact, they are right downwind....ask me how I know:eek:33

As you can see, the first part of the runway, if you land over the trees, drops away from you.

All in all, a great little place to visit.

I just may have a make a trek there this year myself...by car!

Yes, that is my black 7 sitting under than lone little tree:D

smash009.jpg

Hey BIll

Have it down on my calendar!
Rough River is less than an hour flight for me so I probably will just come up for a day but that depends upon weather.
Really look forward to seeing you and the rest of the group!

Peter K
9A-275 hrs

Rough River

Just want add more condition info. Beware of south ramp being unfinished...there were large destructive holes in the pavement where I beleive tiedowns are to be placed. This ramp is small, taxi with caution! This a nice park otherwise. See you there. Be safe.

Keith
Rv8 since 2003

Anyone still planning on attending? Whose in?

Supposed to be 83 and sunny on Sat, and 88 and sun on Sunday?

I talked to the folks at the park just now. They said come on down, we have plenty of room! $8.50 a night and 3 meals a day at the dinning room.

EDIT: My son Aaron and I will be there.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking about going depending on weather (we've had lots of bad storms here). I may go up either Sat or Sun. Still not sure if I will just go for the day or camp out by the aircraft. Wondering about how crowded it will be at the airport (Non-rvers).

Peter K
9A-285 hrs

Planning on coming up Saturday morning from North Alabama. I'm trying to get some of the other RVers in the area interested too.

Scott RV-9A

Two 7's from Evansville, IN and our wives are planning on making the trip.

Unfortunately several beautiful RV's and http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/ Vince Frazier's Rocket along with almost all of the planes based at Hepler Field, Evansville, IN were either severely damaged or destroyed during Wednesday night's storm and won't be making the trip.

Still thinking about coming up tomorrow AM. Wondering if anyone gets this who is actually already there please state if there are a large number of aircraft there and if any RV's showed up. Is the resort crowded?
Maybe see y'all tomorrow.

Peter K
9A 285 hrs

Rough River

Flew up for breakfast along with about 5 other from the Evansville, IN area. We just went for breakfast. Two others from Evansville flew over as we were leaving. A couple guys was there camping thru the weekend from Wisconson. I can't remember names (I think it was Tony Phillips). I was flying around lunch time and heard a few others flying in. No crowd at all plenty of room. The main Flyin there is in Sept. A Cherokee 140 had a nose gear collapse on the third bounce, so the runway was closed for about 45 mins.

Last edited:
Flew up mid morning for lunch. Total of 6 RV's that I saw. Good bunch of guys. We enjoyed good fellowship and the lunch buffet was great...$7.99. This was my son's and I first time here and we enjoyed it very much. Landed after the Piper incident. Glad no one was hurt.

Here's link to some pics that I took http://beerme66.shutterfly.com/pictures/101

Aaron and I are back home. We had a great time. It's always great to meet RV guys face to face. I really think Rough River would be a great spot for a fly in and more people should plan to attend it. There's plenty of parking, good food and lots of natural beauty.

Aaron and I had front row seats fore the Cherokee botched landing. Literally we were sitting in chairs watching him land. He came in way high and fast bounced (porpoised) three times and skidded to a stop 100 feet from us. A great object lesson for Aareon, who is a student pilot. After he first bounced I was screaming to go around. Not that it was heard, but it was very clear there was no recovery for his landing. An immediate go around would have saved the plane.

We had some marginal weather in route on the way home. Had to weather out one rain shower in Paris....Illinois. We ended up flying through a fair amount of rain, but generally good conditions. Wow, I love XM weather!

Back