What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting the baggage ribs

J.Coles

Well Known Member
Step 4 on page 21-02 says to place the manufactured heads on the bulkhead. This is quite difficult to get access to. I wonder if it should be the other way around? Has somebody else run into this problem?

Julian 120316

Page 21-02 Step 4

Julian,
If I remember correctly, this is the area below the heavy center section channel where the landing gear fits. If the rivet shop heads protrude into this area, you will not be able to get the landing gear legs in there. ALL RIVETS on both side of that channel where the landing gear attaches should have the factory head towards the landing gear. It might not be necessary to have every rivet inside of the channel orientated that way, but by the time you figure out where you can reverse them without causing problems later, you could have already completed the job the hard way. Sometimes it is easier to go ahead and do it the hard way.
Joe

Riveting the Baggage Ribs

This is a little more complicated than it appears. The rivets for the Baggage Ribs are installed with the manufactured heads forward of the F-1204-D Bulkhead (in the Gear Tunnel)per the plans. They are easier to install from this side and also eliminate conflict with U-1202 Outboard Main Gear Attach Brackets when installing the Main Gear Legs in Section 35.

An additional conflict occurs on the forward side of the "Gear Tunnel". There are two rivets on each side of the fuselage that hold the F-1225 L&R Seat Floors to the F-1204A Center Section Bulkhead. They are the fourth (a CS4-4rivet) and fifth (an LP4-3 rivet) in from each outboard edge of the Seat Floors. The shop head (tails) of these rivets obstruct installation of of the U-1202 Outboard Main Gear Attach Brackets on their forward end. So, you should leave these rivet out when installing the Seat Floors or remove them and reinstall after the gear legs are installed.

Why not turn the rivets around? Because the shop heads would be in conflict with the the Right Wing Spar, when installing the wing. The "Vans Wedge can be used to install the CS4-4 rivets as the F-1204C Forward Bulkhead Side Assembly is in the way.

This conflict is not addressed in the plans. It was discovered by many builders when they attempted to install the gear. Hope this helps and is understood.

Art Pennanen

Thanks for the help. I have placed the landing gear brackets in place and can see how the rivets will get in the way. I wondered if there might be the same problem with the rivets on the forward side. As you say it makes no reference about the rivet direction here. The rivets on the forward side do seem nearer the edge of the bracket though so could just file the edge of the bracket.

I don't have a tight place rivet squeezer. Also my squeezer is from US tools and is a rather large unit. It does not work on step 2 for riveting the baggage floor skins to the bulkhead. Even using the two thin flush sets as suggested in the instructions I don"t get close to the rivets.

Cheers,

Julian 120316

Rivet orientation

If the plans do not specify the orientation of the rivets, orientate them to make installing the landing gear easy. I remember having to drill some rivets out in that area.
Joe

Back