What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon "Out of Stock"?

N804RV

Well Known Member
Just noticed the Dynon online store shows "out of stock" for most of the components I need to finish out my avionics package. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this because of the microchip shortage? Have there been any estimates for when their supply chain will return to normal?

Word in the chip industry is possibly two years. I order a few thousand molex .1 kk terminals in November and they have pushed delivery back four times. The latest they are telling me june now

Robert burns
N82rb Rv-4

Last edited:
Anything still in stock at Spruce? Honestly I found Spruce to have cheaper prices on Dynon stuff than even Dynon direct! Crazy. Most of my stuff was purchased through Spruce.

For a non aviation business I run, getting material from Vendors lead times that were once 2 days, are now 1+ month out and growing quickly.

I am not surprised Dynon is not immune to many changes the world has seen leading up to this. I can only hope it fosters more made in USA production.

Just noticed the Dynon online store shows "out of stock" for most of the components I need to finish out my avionics package. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this because of the microchip shortage? Have there been any estimates for when their supply chain will return to normal?

I work in the consumer electronics business for a reasonably large company serving the automotive and end-consumer businesses, and in 25 years of being in and around supply chain management, I've never seen anything like the semicon shortages we are experiencing right now. Cash in advance helps, but it's still a very difficult situation.

I came to find out that Dynon was out of stock of its EFIS in January 2020 when the first Covid pandemic struck in Asia. Many of the component manufacturing was in China and still is. The semiconductor chip shortage is probably the main reason for this round of out-of-stock problem.

reason for shortages

Here is a possible explanation that is posted on the MGL Avionics website:

"Dear customers, please note that currently the World’s electronics part supply and production is in severe distress leading to very long lead times on many parts required in our products. This extends to items such as special steels and even certain grades of plastic.

Should you wish to order any of our products we advise you to do so in good time. While we do have good stocks of most critical parts, resupply is currently not guaranteed or parts can only be obtained on allocation or in small quantities."

In my part of the world there are many items that have been in short supply as a result of the global pandemic. At first it was toilet paper but that is resolved now. However, for example, new cars take at least 4-5 months to be delivered and there are no longer discounts or runout deals, in fact prices have gone up.

I guess we just need to plan ahead with our RV projects, and be prepared to revise the budget for time and money.

From a business standpoint, I can say this. WE are all held captive at one point or the other by other vendors or suppliers. Sometimes these are several levels deep. Since none of use do our own shipping, ie-actually transporting the orders ourselves, we are held captive by that industry as well. Like alot of you, Steve and I fought this battle early on. We had a choice, to shut up and wade through supplier issues until things hopefully improved, or make the time and financial investment to control our own parts by manufacturing our own. Yes, we are in a different field than the EFIS guys with the microchips ( I still have no idea how compressed silicone can be smarter than a 6 grader), but we faced the same type of issues.

Being faced with constant backorders and very long lead times from the vendor, we decided the best solution for us was to make our own hose ends. Big investment, both from a time and financial point of view. It took a while for the benefits to show, but its paid off. Shipping-at least outgoing shipments--is still slow but improving. USPS, UPS and FED EX are getting better, although I'm still shocked alittle by the shipping costs, especially the international shipments. WE cant do anything about that.

As for the electronics guys, none that I know of are making their own chips, or want to. But at the same time, their vendors are making them for alot of others, and with the slowdown in workable hours it was only a matter of time before things ground to a halt. Even if the orders went out, they may be on a container ship anchored off Long Beach, San Francisco, or Seattle, and not moving.

I guess the solution is the same thing thats been said for many years, bring the manufacturing back to the US. Just have to figure out how to afford it.

My .02 worth.
Tom

Just to add what I found out, as the OP; one of the sales/marketing folks reached out to me and said that the online store does not always accurately reflect available stock.

He said that if there's something you want, that's showing "out of stock" on the web store, to give them a call. As far as he knows, they are able to fill all their orders as of last Friday.

What is driving this shortage?

Whip-saw demand like we have never seen before. Media/politicians created hysteria, demand fell off the cliff when everyone thought the world was ending, demand signals were slashed, factories were forced to shut down, followed by massive changes in consumer buying behavior. It's similar to 9/11. No one traveled and everyone stayed home. Needed to find entertainment, so consumer electronics went from ice-cold to red hot. Once you have lost the capacity from a plant shut down, you can't get it back. Most people who haven't worked in a supply chain have no real appreciation for the complexities. Ever go into a grocery store and wonder how the head of lettuce got on the shelf!?

Have you tried to buy a 2x4 or sheet of plywood lately? Same thing. The WSJ had an article today about gas shortages at the pump this summer like in the 1970's.

I am not sure what's this shortage conversation is all about! I just got off the phone with direct Dynon sales. Very few items are back ordered. Adhars 201 and some engine sensors, thats all. everything else is fully available. My order is going thru with no problem.

I am not sure what's this shortage conversation is all about! I just got off the phone with direct Dynon sales. Very few items are back ordered. Adhars 201 and some engine sensors, thats all. everything else is fully available. My order is going thru with no problem.

The web store was showing "out of stock" on a bunch of stuff. But, as I stated in my follow-up post, almost everything I need was actually in stock. I am back-ordered for the 201, a network hub and the engine sensor kit.

Shortages all across the board. Just had an O-360 overhauled. Couldn't get Lycoming cylinders for it for at least 2-3 months. Went with Superior cylinders instead, otherwise it would still be at the overhaul shop.

Placed an order for an aircraft interior kit via AirTex back in January, still don't have the seat replacements. 3 months and counting. They've already pushed the delivery date back once.

We ordered a new couch from a local furniture store back in March. 20-24 weeks for delivery, and the couch is made in North Carolina for heaven's sake.

Seems as if anything that needs to be manufactured is affected right now. I think one of the big issues in the USA is just not enough labor force to make the products. Stimulus packages and extended unemployment benefits has led to a thin labor pool.

Then there's things like rental cars in short supply. Getting harder and more expensive to get one at some of the small airports we visit. There's an article floating around online about tourists renting UHauls in Hawaii because rental cars are in such short supply. That article mentions a daily rate of $772/day for a regular vehicle out there. Crazy.

As mentioned above, lumber is waaaay up. Friend of mine just got a $38K surcharge on his custom built home which has yet to be built just to cover the increase in materials cost.

Not a great time right now. Can only get better right??

Funny that this thread got started today because I was just thinking about this wondering when we would see this chip shortage affect the avionics market.

Last edited:
Back