What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield finished edge

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello All i have a vinyl leather applied with contact cement to my dash and over the glareshield with lots of extra length to construct a protective edge but unsure how to construct this edge.

I see some that looked stitched and some that look rounded.

how did you accomplish yours and how would you suggest i finsih mine.

dave

In a collision with the ground it is likely your head or face will strike this edge. Put as much protection as possible on this edge and it may save your life. To me this means round and pad the edge as much as you are able.
I cut some 3000 series aluminium tubing lengthwise, partially filled the tubing with rtv and slipped it over the scalping edge. I slit several diiferent diameters of vnyl tube and slipped them over the aluminium tubing. Covered the glare shield and edge with leather. The larger the diameter, the more it will spread the load of impact. Without the aluminium tubing first, an impact is likely to cut right through whatever type of padding you use. Pinch welt is fine for appearance, but lacking in safety

Last edited:
Glare shield cushion

I,too, have the classic aero cushioned glare shield protective piece. It looks good, easy to install. I like mine.
RV9A Bill

dashpad v 2.0

I too used door edge, then fuel hose, then black pipe insulation foam....after 5 years thought that was getting tired.
.....then went for a fancy hi-density foam/fabric DIY edge pad.
looks better than the foam pipe, but wasn't easy to get the stitching alignment! ( better stick to my day job!)
The Classic Aero version would save about 16.2 hrs of messing around!

16c008c1-0369-4d7e-a226-1ebc54754878_zpslmgfybuo.jpg

Back