What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What paint for cowling?

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Hopefully I will be ready to paint my cowling soon. Is there a paint that is easy to apply and compatable with the kinds of paint used in the pro shops. I am not a great painter so I need to keep it simple but paint to protect the fiberglass until it gets final paint.
Thanks in advance!

Hopefully I will be ready to paint my cowling soon. Is there a paint that is easy to apply and compatable with the kinds of paint used in the pro shops. I am not a great painter so I need to keep it simple but paint to protect the fiberglass until it gets final paint.
Thanks in advance!

I can't imagine a professional painter that wouldn't strip off whatever paint you put on it. Anything that seals the surface should be adequate. Your goal is to seal out oils and silicones and activated paints are best for this, but even hardware store acrylics are better than bare and should get the job done.

Larry

What about the UVs?

Sealing surfaces against oil and other fluids is certainly one criterion...what about UV protection while flying off 40 hrs, and several (hundred???) more while accumulating moola for finish paint job? I've done forum and general intertube searches over the past few months for a good "temporary" coating for fiberglass but nothing I've read has given me a warm fuzzy with respect to UV resistance...

Why not just use the primer and paint you plan on using? The first attempt on fiberglass usually just shows the spots that need to be repaired anyway!

That is what I am doing on the glass. I am painting all the parts white and will add the design over it.

Good luck - you may find you enjoy the painting more than you thought you would.

Epoxy primer

Epoxy primer and wet sand with 320-400.
Can't go wrong. Will show many imperfections that need fixing.

I have a fair amount of paint spraying experience with Rust Oleum and bbq paint. On the -7 I used Zinc Chromate for priming. The main reason I do not have more paint spraying experience is because I do not like to do it.

Gel Coat on Cowl

The cowl gets plenty of heat from the engine. And the cowl is small, relatively. You might consider taking it to your nearest Gel Coat shop and have it Gel Coatted. They can match paint color.

I considered gel coat but I have read that it does not stand up to uv near as well as paint. My main concern was to not use something that might cause difficulties with the final paint. There are so many types of paint out there now that it is dizzying to think about if you are not into that stuff.

Back