What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safeair Pitot Mast Installation

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I acquired a Safeair pitot mast, but alas, it didn't come with instructions or ancillary hardware.

I have the general concept down - overlap the joggle with the spar flange, drill out any offending rivets, and install screws through those holes and a few new ones. No problem on that.

So my questions are what size screws did they suggest and was any secondary structure (stiffeners, etc.) recommended by Safeair, or did you just screw and nutplate the mast to the spar and skin?

Locate it in an area that you can easily remove it later if (when) it breaks, and use screws. Mine broke just after I had my a/c painted and it was a royal pain and expensive to replace.

I believe they have instructions on their website somewhere. You can nut plate it or just rivet it to the spar and it requires two rivets on the aft side of it just in the skin. Pretty simple to replace, if ever needed. Lot's of folks have them and had no problems.

Would the Gretz instructions help? They show a doubler that has an attachment to a rib too, per standards.

I believe they have instructions on their website somewhere. You can nut plate it or just rivet it to the spar and it requires two rivets on the aft side of it just in the skin. Pretty simple to replace, if ever needed. Lot's of folks have them and had no problems.

My guess is that Safeair is defunct. My google-fu doesn't show an active website for them. Cleaveland seems to still carry the mast, but alas, no instructions seem to be available on their website...

Therefore my initial post looking for information about reinforcements and screw sizes... :confused:

My guess is that Safeair is defunct. My google-fu doesn't show an active website for them. Cleaveland seems to still carry the mast, but alas, no instructions seem to be available on their website...

Therefore my initial post looking for information about reinforcements and screw sizes... :confused:

I have the instructions in my build log in the garage. I can scan and email to you tomorrow if you'd like. PM me your email address.

Kyle
Make sure you are installing the blue anodized version. Not the gold one.
The gold ones have a history of the weld breaking. The blue ones were sent out no charge as a replacement.

I have the instructions in front of me .
I can take a pic and send them to you now if you would like.

Last edited:
Look at the Garmin G3X install instructions. There is a good section on how to install the pitot and I believe it is the same install as the Safair. Mine went in reasonably easy even with wing complete. Getting the tubes there was not quite as easy!

Can these masts be shorten a bit? My pitot will be 7" from the bottom of the wing to the tip of the pitot if I leave it as is. It would be nice if I could shorten a inch or two...

Steve
Cant see any reason why not. The airfoil is the same for its entire 5.5" length from the base. Should be able to remove an inch or two without a problem.

I swapped out my older gold anodized mount for the new blue version seen here. Note the improved weld on the blue version.
IMG_7458-M.jpg

You should have gotten a paper template with the pitot mast to mark and cut the airfoil shaped hole in the wing skin.
I had to scallop out part of the flange to give room for the leading edge rivets on the main spar flange. I riveted it in place, so no screws involved.

Back