What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield edge treatment

bob888

Well Known Member
For the time being I plan to just leave the glare shield painted flat black but would like something to run along the edge to make it look a bit more finished. Any suggestions?

Abby at Flightline sells some edge trim that works pretty well. I have it on my RV10 with just a layer of ultrasuede on the glareshield, and then I also have it on my RV14 on a bare panel that is then covered with a nice faux leather cover. Both ways it's nice, and it's thick enough that it should at least be better at protecting you if you hit it during an incident. That sharp edge is scary on it's own.

Glare shield edge

Classic aero has a really nice piece that cushions the edge, is sturdy, and looks great.
Bill

I used a piece of soft copper tubing with a cut on one side. I padded some pliers and crimped it gently in place, no adhesive.

Painted flat black to match the glare shield it looks like it belongs there...

Ron,

That sounds like a nice approach. What tool/technique did you use to slit the tubing lengthwise?

Thanks,
David

I used a piece of soft copper tubing with a cut on one side.

I used a similar solution, using leftover standard aluminum tubing.

I inserted a cutoff wheel in my drill press. I grooved a block of wood to accept the aluminum tube and clapped it to the bed of my drill press so the cutoff wheel engaged the aluminum tube midline on one side. I then ran the tubing thru the block of wood, cutting the "slot" on one side of the tubing.

I gently bent the tubing along the bare glare shield. I then covered the glareshield with black leatherette, wrapping the leading edge around the aluminum tube.

Finally, to increase the diameter of the leading edge, I used 1/2" black rubber hose (similar to fuel hose) which I sliced with a similar technique as the aluminum tube. The black tubing snapped over the alimony tubed edge whole also secured and finished the leatherette covering.

Multiple vendors have the vinyl press-on edge treatment that works fine. After 4 yrs, I just opted for the Classic Aero upholstered version. It's VERY nice and a huge improvement aesthetically, but it was $181 - or 18X what my vinyl edge cost. :eek:

I have the black vinyl press on edge and it still looks great on my flat black painted glare shield coming up on nine years and over 900 hours. I am pretty sure mine came from the aviation dept. at NAPA or O'Reilley auto parts and was intended to be something like window edge trim.

Ron,

That sounds like a nice approach. What tool/technique did you use to slit the tubing lengthwise?

Thanks,
David

It's been a while, but if memory serves me correctly I drilled a hole near the edge of a block of wood the size of the tubing, then clamped the block to the drill press table with a cutoff wheel impinging on the centre line of the hole. The tubing was then fed through the hole which left a slot in one side... Aluminum would be lighter than copper.

You do have to be a bit careful not to twist the tubing as you pull it through...

I bought autozone fuel line and split it to apply to the edge. I put 1/8 inch closed cell foam on top to make it flush with the edge. I then covered the top and wrapped the edge with a trimmed Sport's authority yoga mat.

It makes the top look like a solid piece about 5/8 inch thick. Looks great, draws complements, safer, cheap, easy to clean, lightweight, and has held up fine in the four years since install. If the yoga mat gets ragged, I can remove it or just apply a new one on top for an even thicker look.

If you just want something that looks good, then slit hose is great. But, if the aircraft is ever involved in an accident, and someone's head hits the edge of the glare shield, the thin edge of the glare shield would likely cut through the hose and slice up the head. Edge shield made of metal, or with an inner metal section is better. I slit a piece of 1/4" aluminum tubing, and covered that with a slit section of hose.

I used Kevin's method several years ago. I think it's a good safety feature. Cheap Harbor Freight tools. Straight 5052 alum tubing then bend to fit. Glued in place with GOOP adhesive. No issues for past 5 years. The slit tubing is easy to install. I made several of these for other airplanes at HAO, two RV-8's and an RV-7.

100_4806_zpsukbkvkfr.jpg

100_4807_zpssxwy7m7u.jpg

100_4777_zpsop69znqn.jpg

100_4779_zpsxanovuze.jpg

100_4781_zps8nzvqqgv.jpg

100_4783_zpsnphovssl.jpg

Last edited:
Back