What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Scheme thoughts

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
Any help would be appreciated but here is what I am thinking. I really like the dark blue and white. I have accented it with yelow and black in the past and I like that. I have tried different stripe widths and even showing the white between the stripes but so far this is my favorite. I am trying the painting myself so simplicity is important. I have been thinking that the dark blue might be hot here in Florida but I sure like it.
15ojsw6.png
[/IMG]

I like your clean look as well and the colors. I have painted controls,wings, tail and will finish everything after phase one.
The reason for this thread is I have paint which is called Bolero we paint our boats with this product and My RV6A has it on as well.
If they have the colors you want and can give you a contact name and number and get you the paint for FREE plus shipping of cause.
Let me know by email and I will send you the colors left. I'm only doing this for the RV guys and I will not have anything to do with the outcome of your application. But I'm very happy with mine and you can purchase the spraying product needed to match the brand. The guy you will get it off if interested is very knowledgeable and happy to help.

Anyway just an offer.
[email protected]

Any help would be appreciated but here is what I am thinking. I really like the dark blue and white. I have accented it with yelow and black in the past and I like that. I have tried different stripe widths and even showing the white between the stripes but so far this is my favorite. I am trying the painting myself so simplicity is important. I have been thinking that the dark blue might be hot here in Florida but I sure like it.
15ojsw6.png
[/IMG]

Thanks for the replies.
David, I haven't gotten that far yet. I may just go solid white or do the swoop thing with the same colors.
Aussieflier, that is a very generous offer, however I have already started with some parts using PPG base/clear. I think I will stay with what I have started with. Thanks.
Brant, I have seen others use silver with yellow and it looks great but I think I am stuck on the black. I will try metallic gray today to see what that looks like.
Rockwood, I am worried about the dark but every time I try a diffrent color like yellow on the top or moving the colors around having the blue on the bottom and the white on top, I keep coming back to this one. I am hoping it will be worth it and that I don't regret it later. I also tried lighter blue but I really like the very dark blue with the white contrast.

This is one of my favorites and it is very simple and clean.
otfajn.jpg

I will try metallic gray today to see what that looks

If it helps, the color on the bottom is Sherwin Williams AcryGlo Phantom Gray Metallic. I don't recall if PPG has a similiar color. It looks black in the shade and dark gray in the sun.

bob

FP24112012A0000P.jpg

I was taping the wheel pants for the stripes last night, which is why the pants have all the tape on them. But this pic may give a better representation of the color. With four colors, we probaly have more time in taping that we actually do have in painting.

FP15012013A0000L.jpg

Per Bob this is more what I had in mind and would look better than the silver.
Now this Gray would probably work to shadow the N-number better than a black.
How are you guys painting your numbers?
I would assume I could by a stencil mask from a sign company. I assume they could create it with two color shading?
2lsi3b4.png

Keep the ideas coming. I would like to get this right the first time.

Looks great! Consider painting the leading edges dark as well. I did it to help hide all the bug splats! Have to clean them off after every flight here in Virginia. Probably worse in FL!

Mark,
Looks nice. You might try arching the horizontal stripe up towards the canopy rail. I did that on mine and really like how it looks. Sort of like it is ready to pounce.

When trying to decide on colors, I printed three versions (Yellow, Blue, and Red) and taped them up on the kitchen wall for a month. Blue was my early favorite, but I found my eyes always went to the red version, so that was it! Another six months looking at car lots to select a shade of red. (Volkswagen/Audi won that one)

BTW, nice N-number. I just like saying "Whiskey-Mike" better than "Mike-Whiskey".

Mike, My original plan was more of an arch up at the canopy. I am doing the scheme in Paint which is very limited and you can't do a double swoop. I may go back to more swoop on the final. I did however want to stay below the NACA vent and also the higher you go the more white there is. I didn't want too much white. The RV-7 I have shown in post #6 is a little too much white for me.
This N-Number is my second and just got it this week. I had N68MW last year but received a letter from someone wanting it for nastalgia reasons. I found N14MW this year so I let them have my old number.

Thanks for the input.

you will like the paint scheme of D-EVRV ..

... which is owned by my friend Wolfgang - it is this:

wqypth.jpg

His wife knows a lot about paint schemes by profession. Let me know if I shall put you in contact.

Heinz

Heinz, Did you see my post #6? I had D-EVRV as a decktop photo for a month. I really like the blue/white contrast.

Mark,
I?m the owner of the RV-7 on your post #6. I too did lots of design changes but always came back to a simple two color paint. Originally I favoured a very dark red but was afraid it could turn into brown on darker days. In the end I was fighting with me which blue I should take. I finally went with the darkest of my collection and I really like it. Yes it looks a little brighter in sunlight but even when it is dark outside you still can see the blue. It is RAL 5022, this color code is probably not very much used on your side of the ocean. I have some letters on the vertical stab in silver-grey color. Colors are always a personal taste but for me silver and dark blue is a good combination.

As I have said before I like your plane. Very simple and clean with great color contrast. I don't know that I have seen your wing design. Is it solid white?

Question???

Mark,

What program are you using for those drawings? I have a long way to go but it would be great to start playing with ideas, especially when it is slow at work.

Thanks

The wing itself is solid white. But the wing tip is the same dark blue with one white stripe towards the fuselage. Very easy to do, wings, ailerons and flaps white and only the wingtip with two colors.

Jay,
I simply used Microsoft Paint. I believe it is in about every computer with windows and it was free. Difficult at first but it got easy. Very primative and simple program so there is not much you can do but my scheme is simple.
I downloaded the 3 view and modified it with paint to give it better definition. Then I just use a shell drawing to make changes. If you have problems finding a good 3 view I can send you mine.

How are you guys painting your numbers?.

You can use vinyl transfers. They are used on race cars to do their complex colour schemes. I will be using them for my 8, if I ever manage to get the thing painted! You can use them to do stripes,curves,pictures,fancy writing etc. If you put them over the base coat you can then use a clear top coat to perminantly embed them onto the aircraft. However don't do that to the rego number as a new owner might want a different one, and you would not be able to remove it if it is under the clear coat.

Cheers

Jim

Back