What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting the Plastic NACA scoop

Krylon Plastic Primer in a rattle can before installation. Seems to be fine. :cool:

I had mine dipped for a carbon fiber pattern. You could get it dipped however you like. I'd have to look and see if I recorded the service in my log but there are many good ones out there. I drilled and countersunk after the dipping and can report that the coating is durable though, like any paint, it can be scratched and damaged. The cost and turnaround was pretty reasonable.

I was figuring that the NACA scoop would be painted along with the exterior skin (at the time of final painting). Are people leaving off the plastic back section of the NACA scoop until after it's had final paint? Or, is it no big deal for the painter to get in there later...?

Nothing Special

Scuffed, cleaned, primed, and painted just like the rest of the exterior of the plane. No issues after 6-1/2 years/700 hours.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Seems that Krylon Plastic Primer is not available anymore. Everything is primer+paint in a can.

Went with SEM Flexible Primer for plastics. It's even sandable so my NACA duct is going to be PRIMO! I just hope the paint sticks. :eek:

NACA

Sprayed mine with the same Jet Flex as the interior. Don't spray the contact surface if you plan to glue them with proseal. I used proseal and neodymium magnets.

Sprayed mine with the same Jet Flex as the interior. Don't spray the contact surface if you plan to glue them with proseal. I used proseal and neodymium magnets.

same here. cleaned with laq thinner and scuffed aggressively and epoxy primer stuck just fine. Lots of plastic parts on cars these days. No issue for good primer with proper prep.

Back