- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Default Thoughts on my glass panel?

I'm planning my RV-14 panel. As you see in my draft layout I have elected to use a 7" portrait G3X on the right side. My plan is to have an adjustable tilt of anywhere from 0-30 degrees towards the pilot. If i'm flying with another pilot it would sit flat. My experience from my last plane was that flying from left seat, the right glass panel isn't very easy to see and use - therefore putting a 10" panel there is not much use to me. Now one may argue that the pax or co-pilot would enjoy it. This layout has allowed me to preserved panel space to the right for a glove box and an iPad mount. Any thoughts or comments before I finalize my layout?
BTW the stack includes a GNX375 and NAV/COM and remote com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	6704  
2021 =VAF= donor

Last edited by MS19087 : 01-07-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 01-07-2021, 05:32 PM

Looks good. Iím planning mine right now as well. And agree on the second panel on co pilot side. Iím thinking of leaving it blank for now for possible add of second. But in meantime use an iPad mount on the right side - probably more useful for my wife.
Are you looking at Stein and Aertronics or others for panel build or do it all yourself?
On wheels and making progress
182 Sold 😂

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=tfoster
Old 01-07-2021, 05:50 PM

Default Me too planning panel

I was all done and then I a had an epiphany. I was trying to fit the switches under the G3x screen but realized that most of the switches to be operate in flight will use my right hand in left seat, or left hand in right seat. So I am moving all the inflight switches to the center area, only leaving start stuff and ďottoĒ pilot stuff on left side.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 01-07-2021, 06:11 PM

Hi Mark,

Couple of pointers form my experience over the past two years behind my setup.
1. Reading off a screen on the far side of the cockpit will not be intuitive, so really it's there for the co-pilots benefit or emergency use only. Even if it is tilted toward you, I think you will find it is not something that you will use a lot. If it's there for your co-pilot, then fine. I think that I should have put a 7" in on the co-pilot side because I spend so much time flying with other pilots, instead of the IFR GPS...
2. A VFR type map in the center stack is great for when you have your PFD full of primary instruments, engine monitoring etc. I have an Aera 660 in that location. Cheap, easy to install (sits in an Airgizmo mount), talks to the G3X through bluetooth for sharing flight plans and has a 4hr backup battery. It's also great for selecting radio frequencies and pushing them through to the com radio (they have an RS232 connection). I skipped the autopilot controller (I put a LVL button on my stick and control the autopilot throguh the G3X) and with the inbuilt audio panel in the COM, I'd be leaning toward another center screen.

Tom.
RV-7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vh-srv rv-7 panel trimmed.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	6710  
Old 01-07-2021, 06:43 PM

Default Good comments

I had an Aera 796 in my -9A and really liked it. I have been considering the new Aera 760 in place of the 7Ē G3X however am a bit concerned about redundancy for my engine Instrumentation if my 10Ē goes dark.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 01-07-2021, 08:13 PM

Default Engine monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS19087 View Post
I had an Aera 796 in my -9A and really liked it. I have been considering the new Aera 760 in place of the 7Ē G3X however am a bit concerned about redundancy for my engine Instrumentation if my 10Ē goes dark.
If only the Garmin G5 also had a simple engine monitoring screen...

Depending on what you feel you need to conclude the flight safely if the G3X goes dark for any reason, including loss of electrical power, a single independent oil pressure gauge could meet 'essential' requirements.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 01-07-2021, 09:34 PM

Good layout, and based on five years with two screens, Iíll offer some opinions different from what others have postedÖ
* Put a 10Ē screen on the right side, and use it in split screen mode. The half towards the center of the cockpit is very readable says I, based on experience. Only when you go to full screen does it become less readable because the useful information (in the center of the screen) moves farther away. I use the other half of the screen for flight instruments for the other pilot. And being a CFI, flying flight instruments that far away (in case of screen failure) is not a big deal;
* Go with a GTN650. Why? Because on an ILS, it will automatically switch from GPS to ILS just outside the FAF. Much handier than doing it manually. Also, the larger screen will be useful in flight plan editing;
* Disagree with putting all switches in the center stack. The only switches I use in flight seem to be fuel pump and flaps, and the standard location for flaps is to the right of the power knobs;
* Group your switches so that theyíre easier to find. In other words, put spaces in between the groups;
* Hereís an interesting concept: on my plane, for various historical reasons, the three power knobs, carb heat and fuel pump are all in the center stack. Makes it real easy to make sure all the engine controls get manipulated at the same time. Handy, yes, which is good. But on the other hand, non-standard is bad;
* You really donít need master warn and caution lights as the G3X will do those for you. And in practice, the master caution and master warn invoke identical actions, so the distinction between the two is moot;
* Iím not a fan of headphone jacks on the panel as you end up with cords all over the place;
* If the G3X goes dark, oil pressure will be the least of your worries. No need for a backup. For practice, I have flown the plane with no engine instruments on my side (the safety pilot had them) and itís annoying to fly on knob position and sounds alone, but not that big a deal.

Be well!

Ed
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 01-08-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Good layout, and based on five years with two screens, Iíll offer some opinions different from what others have postedÖ
* Put a 10Ē screen on the right side, and use it in split screen mode. The half towards the center of the cockpit is very readable says I, based on experience. Only when you go to full screen does it become less readable because the useful information (in the center of the screen) moves farther away. I use the other half of the screen for flight instruments for the other pilot. And being a CFI, flying flight instruments that far away (in case of screen failure) is not a big deal;
* Go with a GTN650. Why? Because on an ILS, it will automatically switch from GPS to ILS just outside the FAF. Much handier than doing it manually. Also, the larger screen will be useful in flight plan editing;
* Disagree with putting all switches in the center stack. The only switches I use in flight seem to be fuel pump and flaps, and the standard location for flaps is to the right of the power knobs;
* Group your switches so that theyíre easier to find. In other words, put spaces in between the groups;
* Hereís an interesting concept: on my plane, for various historical reasons, the three power knobs, carb heat and fuel pump are all in the center stack. Makes it real easy to make sure all the engine controls get manipulated at the same time. Handy, yes, which is good. But on the other hand, non-standard is bad;
* You really donít need master warn and caution lights as the G3X will do those for you. And in practice, the master caution and master warn invoke identical actions, so the distinction between the two is moot;
* Iím not a fan of headphone jacks on the panel as you end up with cords all over the place;
* If the G3X goes dark, oil pressure will be the least of your worries. No need for a backup. For practice, I have flown the plane with no engine instruments on my side (the safety pilot had them) and itís annoying to fly on knob position and sounds alone, but not that big a deal.

Be well!

Ed
Ed has some great points here. +1 on the 10" for the right side . looks like you have the space. In the long term you will wish you paid the extra $900 for the larger screen. I know I did after about 3 months... i have a very similar panel but with the 650Xi.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 01-08-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Where do you put the jacks instead?
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 01-08-2021, 06:04 AM

Hey, donít I have any say in this?😜
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.