- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:15 PM

Angry Blew out Oil Filter Gasket

Before any cold start I always use my sump heater. On this start my oil temp was 74F and cylinders were 47F. Fortunately I had the cowling off for a post maintenance engine run. The engine had about 45 SMOH no work was done on the oil system. After the engine fired off the windshield had a large amount of oil splatters. I shutdown immediately. Looked over the engine found the oil filter gasket exstruded out, the filter was tight (15 ft-lbs). Talked to Lycoming, they said there was a blockage between the oil pump and the filter causing the pressure to exceed 200 psi.
Anyone have any thoughts where to look?
Old 12-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by x55pilot View Post
Before any cold start I always use my sump heater. On this start my oil temp was 74F and cylinders were 47F. Fortunately I had the cowling off for a post maintenance engine run. The engine had about 45 SMOH no work was done on the oil system. After the engine fired off the windshield had a large amount of oil splatters. I shutdown immediately. Looked over the engine found the oil filter gasket exstruded out, the filter was tight (15 ft-lbs). Talked to Lycoming, they said there was a blockage between the oil pump and the filter causing the pressure to exceed 200 psi.
I hate when you do everything right and stuff like this still happens, Iíll be watching to see what the others say. I am sorry buddy
Old 12-31-2020, 07:43 PM

Default Relief valve?

What was the max pressure you had seen to date (confirming oil pressure relief valve function).

Way back I had a pair of defective filters ( I pitched the rest of the six pack deal I bought them under) that blew the seal on my 1982 Pontiac J2000 twice in rural Iowa...ah, the days. Went away from the Frams, never happened again. My point is stuff happens when it comes to filters. The baseplate being soft, the forming plate being out of spec, the seal not being dimensionally correct or durometer...and 99.9% most applications wonít notice. Iím in the spin on filter business for a living....these are things Iím aware of. At least the seam didnít let go!

Anyway, a different brand and a maybe a little extra mechanical instrumentation to confirm upstream/ downstream pressures is cheap compared to a tear down. I bet a $100 of mcmaster money and you could know.
2011-2021 VAF contributor
Old 12-31-2020, 08:56 PM

good for you for doing the leak check. it seems the filter is blocked somehow. how could that happen?

did the maintenance have anything to do with the oil filter housing gasket?

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-31-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x55pilot View Post
Talked to Lycoming, they said there was a blockage between the oil pump and the filter causing the pressure to exceed 200 psi.
Not between the oil pump and the filter.

Overpressure at the filter gasket would require the blockage to be downstream of the outer surface of the filter's paper element....assuming there is an actual blockage.

Additional information please. Filter brand and model? 100W or multi grade? What maintenance was performed prior to start, and did it include a filter swap? AC style filter adapter or something else? And when it lit off, what RPM did it reach, max?
Old 01-01-2021, 06:57 AM

Assuming the maintenance DID include a new filter, is it possible that the old gasket remained on the adaptor such that there are now two gaskets?

As Dan said, we need to know if the maintenance included a new filter, etc.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:02 AM

The OP stated specifically that no work was done on the oil system.

What work was done?
Old 01-01-2021, 07:26 AM

I spoke with X55 yesterday and I can fill in a couple blanks while we wait for him to respond.

Due to his EFIS configuration and brownout on start, he does not know the oil pressure during cranking or immediately after start. I have suggested a mechanical guage to assist in troubleshooting.

His normal cruise oil pressure is 95 PSI hot.

The oil filter adapter is a generic, remote style that mounts to the firewall with flex hose. I do not know the brand, nor the configuration of the unit that that interfaces with the accessory case. I agree that this has to be blockage downstream of the filter and prior to the relief valve, or a sticking relief valve. He's going to look at both.

The filter is a NAPA Gold. Not sure of the number, but he, like me and many of my friends around here have been running these filters for years with no issues.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 01-01-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
Assuming the maintenance DID include a new filter, is it possible that the old gasket remained on the adaptor such that there are now two gaskets?
My brother did this on a car oil change 25+ years ago. Made a huge mess on the driveway.

Seems like it would take a lot of pressure to blow out a single gasket on a properly installed filter.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 01-01-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShort View Post
My brother did this on a car oil change 25+ years ago. Made a huge mess on the driveway.

Seems like it would take a lot of pressure to blow out a single gasket on a properly installed filter.
yep, that can be a common failure mode. the old gasket stays on and then you add another one with the new filter. now you have 2 installed.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com