Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Fuel Flow Transducer (Red Cube, FT-60)

Does anyone have experience to share on the Aircraft Specialty FT-60 mount for injected engines?
I only know one, Jereme, who has installed it. I don't believe he is flying yet.
http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/rv-7.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201229-162056_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	6355
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:44 PM

Lotta ways to skin that cat (apologies to cat lovers, luckily neither of mine can read English). Mine lives betwixt fuel servo and flow divider. Latter in my case is on the pilot's side of the engine. Red cube is hanging in space, supported only by hoses. Flow is vertically up, wires emerge from the unit pointed straight back toward the firewall. Hoses are supported by mounts & adel clamps secured by the engine. This was an EI-approved solution, 1025 hours now and counting, no issues.
960+ hours as of June 30, 2020. Where did the time go?
Old 12-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Larry, you have yours mounted like mine.
Donated
Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 PM

Default Per plans...

Between the engine fuel pump and the fuel servo inlet. As shown in the RV-14 plans (attached). I did this for both of my -7s with IO-360-A1B6 (Angle Valve) engines. I used straight steel AN fittings tho..

Works well, no issues with cavitation, heat, vapor lock, blah blah blah.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.47.35 PM.png
Views:	243
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	6357  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.47.52 PM.png
Views:	298
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	6358  

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:46 PM

Larry, I'm currently working with Tom (TS) to get that bracket to fit the way I'd like it. He has been very patient with me and excellent to work with. Here are some of the things I've learned so far during the process:
  1. Make sure you specify Lycoming or AFP. The brackets are different. Guess what I didn't do.
  2. The Lycoming hose between the servo and fuel divider will be too long once the red cube is installed. Wait until it's mounted before you measure and get a new hose. If you guess like I did, you will get it wrong and go through several hoses.
  3. Using Tom's "v1" design, I found I needed about 1/8" of shim between the bracket and engine case. This necessitated a longer bolt. Spruce part # 08-07453 seems to be the right size for me, but I have not final installed it yet. Tom will likely weigh in on this thread to mention he has a new version of the bracket coming soon that will eliminate the need for shims, but I didn't want to wait.
  4. When mounted as in your picture, you may find the straight fitting on the inlet side of the red cube is a little far outboard, and comes very close to the cylinder fins. I plan to mitigate this with a 45 degree fitting from the red cube, plus a 45 degree hose end, to ensure clearance and a "straight shot" down through the intercylinder baffle hole. The right fitting would be AN823-4-4 (steel) which is impossible to find online. Tom can hook you up.

Remember to plug the "gauge" port on the fuel divider, per SB 18-05-21.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass. Fuselage, wiring, and canopy complete. IO-360-M1B mounted. Working on cowl and baffles.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:00 PM

After reading many threads about placement of the red cube and heat issues, I put mine on the cabin floor between the electric boost pump and the firewall feed thru. There seem to be pros and cons on all the placements. This one avoids the heat and vibration issues and has been accurate for me. I only have 150 hours on it so gotchas might arise in the future.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Lotta ways to skin that cat (apologies to cat lovers, luckily neither of mine can read English). Mine lives betwixt fuel servo and flow divider. Latter in my case is on the pilot's side of the engine. Red cube is hanging in space, supported only by hoses. Flow is vertically up, wires emerge from the unit pointed straight back toward the firewall. Hoses are supported by mounts & adel clamps secured by the engine. This was an EI-approved solution, 1025 hours now and counting, no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Man View Post
Larry, you have yours mounted like mine.
Like you guys, same location, but have a soft mount made from baffle material.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:41 AM

Mine is installed at the lower engine side of the firewall. No additional insulation and very accurate. It developed a leak at the inlet after 20 hours. Initially i used permatex #2 on the thread. I was able to make another full turn at the fitting, now it should be ok. I suggest to use straight steel fittings if possible.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:01 AM

Default Red cube

Mine is mounted on top of my forward facing servo with a steel 90D fitting on the in side then a 45D fitting facing up feeding the spider. Tom proved the line from the 45D up to the spider and the other steel fitting. It is supported against the top of the servo with RTV. I have about 200hrs on this setup and always check it when I inspect FWF at every oil change. It has been rock solid so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89g2p0m71q...15781.jpg?dl=0
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 12-30-2020, 10:51 AM

There are alot of ways to do this. We opted for the flow divider location to eliminate 2 hoses in the install. 1 of those typically was pretty short and a critical measuerment. If it was off, then the location of the transducer was off, which threw everything else off. LOL----I cant tell you how many we did with guys asking if we could cut 1/8-1/4 off the short hose to allow it to fit. With that, I took another look to see what we could do about making life easier.

NOT TO SAY that ours is the bible on how to do it---alot of your installs work just fine. We took recommendations from several respected sources and came up with our solution. And yes----its had multiple revisions. WE are always trying to improve it.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com