- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Default RV-Twin

has Vans ever considered a twin engine kit?
i've seen a couple of other kit manufacturers working on them and think a vans would sell quite well.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 PM

Kills the total performance idea. Why do you need the second engine? Just get a bigger first engine. I don't think (personally) that this is on Van's list of things to do...

Now a Fiberglass Twin Comanche (Ravin) would be cool .
Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it took a lot of arm twisting to get Van to make twin SEAT airplane, nevermind twin engines. Honestly, I never thought I'd live to see a 4 seater come out of Vans so anything's possible, I guess.

Here's an interesting question. If you have 1 propellor driven by 2 engines via some sort of gearbox, is that a twin or a very funky single? I'm not suggesting anyone do this but I am curious how that's classified. I could make a good argument that the two engines coupled with gearbox is no more 2 engines than 6 pistons coupled with a crankshaft is 6 engines.

There must be a governing regulation somewhere but I couldn't find it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoloccia
I'm pretty sure it took a lot of arm twisting to get Van to make twin SEAT airplane, nevermind twin engines. Honestly, I never thought I'd live to see a 4 seater come out of Vans so anything's possible, I guess.

Here's an interesting question. If you have 1 propellor driven by 2 engines via some sort of gearbox, is that a twin or a very funky single? I'm not suggesting anyone do this but I am curious how that's classified. I could make a good argument that the two engines coupled with gearbox is no more 2 engines than 6 pistons coupled with a crankshaft is 6 engines.

i believe that's classified as a single.
ayres was working on one for fedex as a caravan killer before they went bankrupt.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:32 AM

I had the hots for the Phillips Speed Twin many, many years ago. All metal, two O-200s, tail dragger, two-seat tandem, aerobatic. Something like an RV-8, with the same power but split into two engines. There was an article in Sport Aviation that said that the designer was going to produce a kit. But he died before that could happen.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 01-17-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Helicopter twin

Quote:
Helicopters with twin turbines and one propellor (rotor) are classified as twins. When one engine stops the remaining functioning engine does not have to drive the dead engine.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 AM

Default PT6 Twin-pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas
Helicopters with twin turbines and one propellor (rotor) are classified as twins. When one engine stops the remaining functioning engine does not have to drive the dead engine.
This is a picture of one

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1060...43505989fTyPva

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I belive Soloy was working on such a contrivance several years ago. Two PT-6s mated together, driving a single propeller shaft. Called it a "TwinPack", I think. Not sure why it never saw the light of day.

If something like that ever made it to the flying public, I doubt (or should I say "hope logic would prevail at the FAA") you would be required to have a Multi-Engine Rating to fly it. The purpose of a MEL is to ensure you are aware of and can handle the unique flying characteristics encountered when a multi-engine airplane loses one of its engines. You have none of those unique characteristics in an airplane of they type you're describing.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:

It depends on HOW the "gearbox" works.

There was an aircraft intended to be a "production" aircraft built a few decades ago with two (turbine?) engines turning a single pusher prop. The prop was high tech kevlar (fairly new at the time), and the gearbox was set up so that if one engine failed it "dropped out of the loop" and so did not create drag on the remaining engine.

They got FAA approval to call it a multi-engine centerline thrust design. I don't think they ever made it into production, or if they did they only built a few.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Talking

Any old timers remember Van's April fools joke back in the late 80's? He published an article in the RVaitor about a twin fuselage RV-4 concept, similar to the P-82 twin mustang. There was a drawing of it along with a report on a stealthy fact finding trip to the CAF to look at the P-82. The give-away was that he said they flew down to Arlington in a C-172 (if I recall correctly.) I think the twin RV-4 was going to be called the RV-8. Lot's of guys thought it was serious and it took a while to straighten everyone out.

Wish I still had that RVaitor issue. It went with the plans and manual when I sold my kit.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370

Last edited by fl-mike : 01-17-2007 at 10:39 AM.