What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about rivets....

hillc95

SORRY THE PICTURE IS SO BIG!

Hey all....I started 'tinkering' around with the VS today and even though i'm not quite there yet i'm looking ahead and trying to get my ducks in a line. I imagine this question will have the answer for all future scenarios.

rv.jpg

Looking at Page 6-5 Step 1 it shows the rivets for the doubler/hinge brackets. I get what rivets go where....my question: does it matter which way the rivet is installed? Factory heads on the doubler even through the brackets? Factory heads on the brackets and all others on the doubler? All one way? Does it matter? Thank you in advance for my 'beginner' question!

Last edited:
Generally try to put the factory head on the thinnest material, but sometimes you'll have to pick the direction based upon access. When it doesn't matter, like in your example, I tended to put the factory head on the side that would remain visible after final assembly.

Last edited:
Thank you. I figured if it really mattered the manual would have said so......just wanted to make sure.

The manual will NOT say. Todd said it pretty well. I like to prioritize:

1) Factory head on the thinnest material. Can I access with gun or squeezer? If no, then 2) factory head goes up or forward (fastener rule not really applicable to rivets but makes for consistent look) or on most visible side. Can I access with gun or squeezer? If no, then 3) orient so I do have access.

Back