What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fly-in and SB day in FL

Jesse

Well Known Member
I have been wanting to do this for a while, and have done it in the past. In the next month or so I would like to have a day, probably a Saturday, that we can get a bunch of RV-10's together from the SE to our place at X35. We would plan to BBQ and hang out and talk RV-10's, but I was just thinking that it might be a great time to get people together to do the new SB inspections and fix, probably at least for no-cracks planes. Please post here if you would be interested in something like this and what day or days would work best in the next 4-6 weeks to do it. A plus is that we have equipment to powder coat and also have some spare parts for those areas in case they are needed.

For those traveling further than comfortable for a single day, we could probably arrange either accommodations, or a place to camp, or a ride to a hotel as needed.

Jesse, that is a fantastic idea.

Too far for me to attend, but I wish you success with it.

I know there is another fly-in that weekend, but most responses have come back for October 11th. We will talk to the airport manager about camping onsite. We will see what we can work out. If it is ok, we will let everybody know. Please continue responding if you plan to make it. The weather should be cooler by then.

Last edited:
Nobody will be chased away. We will work with Ivan on the details for drinks and food, but I expect we will be grilling a bunch of dead animal parts for lunch.

Dunnellon Fl. airport (X35) Fly-in.

Jesse,
I was planning on flying down from Canada on or about that weekend anyway so now that I know that we are planning on Oct. 11 for the RV-10 fly-in I will move it up a few days to be there to help out with the things that needs to be done before and during the event.

For those of you who haven't been to the Dunnellon airport before it is a great non towered field with some of the cheapest 100LL fuel prices in the state. We have two hardtop runways one of which is 5000' long, a flight planning lounge with WiFi and , of course, we have Jesse on the field who is an RV-10 expert and has the shop facility to help with any Van's Aircraft related problem.

I am now operating my own RV-10 out of X35 for the winter months. Recently I secured a hangar there on a year around basis so if anyone would be interested in sharing with me and take it over during the hot summer months while I move back to Canada then we should make a deal.

I have talked to our airport manager about it an he said we can use any tie downs and ramp space available, but any camping will have to be on our lease. I have to check with a few people to verify that's ok, but it should work fine. We have room for a bunch of tents, but you won't be able to camp by your planes. We have 3 bathrooms, but no shower facilities. I could also possibly take my camper over for another bathroom. I'll have to get with Ivan and figure out any financial arrangements for food and drinks, but that should be easy. I can make at least 4 cars available as needed.

Make sure to bring your no-crack SB plates with you if you have them.

Do any of those planning to attend do any formation flying? We also have an aerobatic box over the field for any non-10's that want to show off.

Jesse,
Obviously to far for me to come out for this, I have my parts and going to install in the next week or so. Question, are you adding a adhesive between the two plates?
Thanks,
Tim

Can a 9A builder come. your just 20 min from my shop, as you know.

See all the 10's and maybe a few of the other RV'ers then.

Of course, everybody is welcome. I will ask for some kind of confirmation of who is coming and when for planning at some point, but I say, the more the merrier.

Jesse, talked with you last week about building my RV10. I am coming with my friends who are helping me build the plane and coming in a 7 and 9. total of 4 people.

kenny

Jessie,
Great idea. I would like to attend as well. Look forward to meeting some of the Florida RVers. October 11th sounds like a good date..

Are we still on for this?

We are still on. It sounds like we are going to have quite a few non-10's, which is great. Does anybody want to give an aerobatic demo (we have an aerobatic box over the field). We will prioritize doing the RV-10 SB, but we can do oil changes, prop balances and injector tuning as time permits.

We may even try to talk Ivan into giving us an RC performance.

Oh, and camping is a GO. We have a nice area for tents (unfortunately not under your airplane wings) and have 3 bathrooms. Unfortunately, no working showers. We will have, as I think I mentioned already, at least 3-4 cars available for those who want to get a hotel or get supplies or meals off the grounds.

Count us in!

Hi Jesse!

We'll fly our RV-10 from Delray Beach and spend the day. Maybe I'll even take my Pitts as well.

Pablo

Still on for Saturday!

We are still on for Saturday. It is supposed to be warm during the day (ok, hot, but partly cloudy) and nice in the evening for those camping.

I was wondering how things would work because we have a baby due on Sunday, but my wife is in labor now, so we should be good for Saturday in that regard.

Lunch will be burgers, brats, some steak and we are smoking a pork butt. Sides will be standard stuff. Drinks will be sodas, Gatorade and water. Because of the location, we can't have any alcoholic beverages on site, so please leave he beer home. If you drink something that isn't common, please bring some with you. Otherwise we will get a bunch and have coolers with ice. There is no timing for starting or ending, so come when you can and leave when you want.

We are still on for Saturday. It is supposed to be warm during the day (ok, hot, but partly cloudy) and nice in the evening for those camping.

I was wondering how things would work because we have a baby due on Sunday, but my wife is in labor now, so we should be good for Saturday in that regard.

Father of 8!! Congrats and no wonder you weren't overly nervous. :D

Looks like I'm in. Save me a camping spot and a time window for a prop balance.

Best,

congrats! Does that mean its time to change the name of the field to Eight Feathers?

We had a great turnout today. I think there were 13-14 -10's total and several other RV's. The weather was great and the hangar flying was better.

Thanks to all for joining us. We'll do it again.

We had a great turnout today. I think there were 13-14 -10's total and several other RV's. The weather was great and the hangar flying was better.

Thanks to all for joining us. We'll do it again.

I had a blast meeting everyone and also had a great host!!! Would love to do it again sometime..

Jesse, how did the SB work turn out??

Any new info/trends show up?

Thanks,

Actually, we didn't end up doing any. I talked 2 people through the process and they are going to do it themselves. The rest either are already done or I maintain and will be doing them at condition inspection.

Last edited:
Time

A most enjoyable time. AVWX was superb! Thank you, Jesse for hosting the event. You are the consummate RV-10 Guru!

X35

Jessie,

Thank you very much for an awesome day looking at a ton of RV10's and getting even more motivated to work on mine. Thanks for all the pointers you gave me and can't wait to talk again. Hopefully I'm going to get my QB fuselage and wings in a couple weeks.

I will keep you posted on my build and sure you will be hearing from me soon.

Once again, thanks a lot!

Kenny Cole

Thanks for a Great day

Thanks Jesse for a great day.

Sandi and I made it to Jesse's yesterday. We brought our gear and planned on camping but it was still a little warm in our part of the country.

Great food, Great people and a fun time.

A bunch of RV-10’s and a FEW others, sprinkled in:D

35hjkt3.jpg

10cn7f9.jpg

Here’s Jesse, Nathan and crew getting the chow ready… Obligatory food pix for Vlad included.

2ujh5x0.jpg

Lots of RV’s being worked on in Jesse’s shop…. 10’s and others.

2ed8s44.jpg

Too soon, time to head home. Started out with Bill Whidden and he provided cover for our bombing run :)

avgbd0.jpg

szefdd.jpg

Yup, great time; thanks for putting this together, Jesse. Great to meet Jesse, his crew, and other great folks.

134EBDD4-5124-4DA0-AF85-791EEA5F6921.jpg

Back