What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering a build.....

hillc95

Hello all!
I am currently a student pilot (20ish hours in) and I know I like it and want to continue. Wife is all about it and I think the family is more excited about me getting the license than I am. Started getting really interested in the -10 after SNF this year and reading the websites etc...I know I want to buy a plane, but after that it gets a little cloudy. Im fairly sure the -10 is the way I want to go but I would really like to re-enforce that by seeing (riding?) in a -10. Im in the NE Florida/Jacksonville area (CRG, FHB, HEG), anyone around willing to let me take a look...give me a lap or two around the field? I would throw a couple of bucks in for gas..maybe fly down to Flagler and ill buy lunch. Im pretty mechanically inclined and love tinkering so im pretty sure ill be down for the building end of it. Realistically, this will be a 5 year project (hey...Ive got 2 small kids) so Im thinking rent (buy?) a 172 and fly that to get me some time before the -10 is completed. Any help is appreciated!--Chris--

Welcome aboard!

Lots of RVs in your area, someone will pony up for sure.

One thing I would look at is insurance for a Private Pilot and an RV-10. If you can stomach that, you'll love the airplane. You'll hate owning a slow pokey 172 after a ride!

Thanks for the welcome! I tossed around the whole 182 or -10 debate and my wife saw the -10 (she is a HUGE fan of the SR22) and it was a no brainer at that point. I figure after 5 years of flying I should have a decent amount of hrs to help with the insurance.

In general a good plan. Currently insurance companies are looking for around 250 hours total time for reasonable quotes in a -10. Until you have time (maybe 100 hours) in the -10 itself rates will be fairly high. Spend some of those hours working on an instrument rating, the insurance companies like that, too.

5 years is not impossible (especially if you go Quick-Build) but with a job and 2 kids you will need to devote a lot of your free time to the project. Important to make sure the spouse is on-board with the 5 year plan.

As a former 182 owner, I can tell you there is no comparison. The -10 is much faster. Useful load with full fuel is about the same for both although the 182 will haul more if you leave some gas out. This is possible because the 182 has huge gas tanks, which are needed because of its huge fuel burn rate!

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. The wife is DEF on board.....and she knows me well enough to know that when I set my mind to something she needs to hang on. One of the main bonus features of my job is that I work a week on/week off. I didn't plan on going QB (save money) but the 5 years was mainly the base time I used for financial reasons (I will be mainlyself financing) so it may turn into a 6 year plan. I also planned on doing some time in a SR20 after I get my private to get some low wing time.

My wife has been great. I fly professionally, and the day before I left for my last trip, we disassembled the tail cone for deburring and dimpling. While I was gone, she took care of all the deburring. I'm hoping to get back to work on the plane tomorrow.

Today, however, we rented a 172 and had a lunch date.

I think it's doable, esp with the family on board.

Best of luck.

Jeff

I didn't plan on going QB (save money) but the 5 years was mainly the base time I used for financial reasons (I will be mainlyself financing) so it may turn into a 6 year plan. I also planned on doing some time in a SR20 after I get my private to get some low wing time.

There is no difference to the insurance companies, or in practice, to high wing or low wing. However, it would be good to get some time in an airplane like the SR20 to get used to the speed involved. Also you will need to get your high power endorsement prior to flying the -10.

As to finances, Vans' web site is just a starting place. Very few -10's are finished for under $150K, unless you find a real deal on a used engine and prop, or are going really bare-bones on avionics.

Come to San Francisco and I'll be happy to give you a ride!

Welcome Chris!

Can't help you with a ride in a -10 as I fly a 7A, but if you're ever up the road in Savannah, look me up. I'm getting near the end of the tail kit, and would be happy to show/talk about my decision to start a -10.

If you can get your wife on board with the building process, not only will you guys have fun but you'll double the productivity. 16-20 man hours per day vice 8-10. She'll get just as much satisfaction out of the plane, learn new skills, and you'll have someone to help on the maintenance and annuals!

If you're going to QB anything do the fuselage and save money slow building the wings.

Don't even start thinking about the panel yet, avionics are advancing weekly. Start saving money for the engine and prop early. That last 20% of the build is 80% of the cost!

No question between the 182 and a 10. Like said the 10 is 20-30 knots faster on less gas. Cost to maintain, no brainer.

Welcome Chris!

Can't help you with a ride in a -10 as I fly a 7A, but if you're ever up the road in Savannah, look me up. I'm getting near the end of the tail kit, and would be happy to show/talk about my decision to start a -10.

Jon,

I just might take you up on that...you're only an hour or so drive from where im at and my wife has been practically begging me to take her to Savannah since we moved here (9 yrs ago)....

BobTurner- I mention the SR20 more for my piece of mind in getting some time in 'like minded' plane (as opposed to a 172) and honestly, I planned on going fairly simple on the avionics. The kind of flying I want to do really keeps me straight VFR so that is how I was going to set the plane up seeing how I will more than likely keep the plane for a long time after its done.

Sig600--Unfortunately, wife probably wont help out too much....she is more of the 'hands off and watch me do it' kind of gal

Last edited:
Dave Maib is in New Smyrna, (DMaib on here),near you, with a -10. I'm up here in Georgia, around 200 miles north but if you're in or near the area (2J3), PM me.

Best,

Jon,

I just might take you up on that...you're only an hour or so drive from where im at and my wife has been practically begging me to take her to Savannah since we moved here (9 yrs ago)....

I'll PM my # and email. Give me a shout if you guys head this way.

Thank you for all the help guys! I should also point out that I am willing to travel a little bit to meet/go to someone. I would really like to see a complete/near complete one.

If you're going to QB anything do the fuselage and save money slow building the wings.

If you're purely concerned about build speed, I would agree. I slow built everything, and if I were to do it again, I would quick build the wing. It's not that it's difficult to do, it's just that it's so repetitive. It feels like it takes forever. The fuse does take longer, but that's been my favorite part of the build yet. You're always working on something different, and you slowly see the cabin take form.

Atlanta

If you come up near Atlanta ever, I just finished my Phase I on a 10, and there is another 10 under construction finishing up the fuselage. I'll give you a ride, and then we can show you what it looks like underneath.

For the slow build wings, just get a Audio book (www.audible.com). I listened to almost 100 audio books throughout my build, but liked the wings because it was so repetitive that I did not have to keep pausing the book to read and understand the plans. Thought several times during the firewall forward that I wished I was back on the wings, as I had to concentrate to much on what I was doing and couldn't finish the book I was listening to.

I'm in the Ocala area. Probably 2 hours from you driving. I have 3 -10's in my hangar, one a work horse with 1,350 hours on it, one in for condition inspection and one almost finished. You never know but another one or two may show up the day you come visit.

I'd be happy to take you for a ride around the patch a couple times or if I already need to go somewhere, you would be welcome to ride along. Maybe even plan a flight down with your instructor.

He low-wing vs high-wing transition, IMHO, is like falling off a log. The speed will be an issue, but deal with that through transition training or at least closer to he end of your build.

Buying a 150/2 for training or a 172 for training then travel to keep the family on board is a great idea. Or, pick up an old Cherokee and then you will already be in the low-wing game. Plan to get your private and instrument in the 172 or Cherokee and then insurance rates will be more affordable when you transition. These planes are selling really cheap these days, and if he new EAA/AOPa initiative passes allowing people to fly them without a medical, they will certainly go up in value, so you can fly for the cost of fuel, insurance and hangar (or ramp fee) and the time value of $10-40,000.

If your wife is on board, as it sounds like she is, try to get her to take lessons in the plane you buy. That will make her that much more on board and will make you both safer when you fly together.

I was/am in the a very similar position as you. I started my slow build a little over a year ago. I also started my training around the same time. My emp and wings are complete, putting fuse skins on now. Between work and the -10 i haven't had the time to finish up my cert. I bought into a 1/4 share of a 182 and get to put gas in it to let my partners fly me around...argh. I'm now going to put the -10 project aside for a bit and get my training knocked out. My point is trying to train, build, work and play husband and Dad takes up a lot of time. To do it again I probably would have knocked out my cert first, then start my build.

I'm in the Ocala area. Probably 2 hours from you driving. I have 3 -10's in my hangar, one a work horse with 1,350 hours on it, one in for condition inspection and one almost finished. You never know but another one or two may show up the day you come visit.

I'd be happy to take you for a ride around the patch a couple times or if I already need to go somewhere, you would be welcome to ride along. Maybe even plan a flight down with your instructor.

He low-wing vs high-wing transition, IMHO, is like falling off a log. The speed will be an issue, but deal with that through transition training or at least closer to he end of your build.

Buying a 150/2 for training or a 172 for training then travel to keep the family on board is a great idea. Or, pick up an old Cherokee and then you will already be in the low-wing game. Plan to get your private and instrument in the 172 or Cherokee and then insurance rates will be more affordable when you transition. These planes are selling really cheap these days, and if he new EAA/AOPa initiative passes allowing people to fly them without a medical, they will certainly go up in value, so you can fly for the cost of fuel, insurance and hangar (or ramp fee) and the time value of $10-40,000.

If your wife is on board, as it sounds like she is, try to get her to take lessons in the plane you buy. That will make her that much more on board and will make you both safer when you fly together.

Jesse,
We actually quite frequently (every 2 months) travel between Jax and family in the Punta Gorda area (thats actually how this whole PPL/plane idea started in the first place) and go right through the Ocala area. We are going to be going through this monday or tuesday (6/2 or 6/3)......will you happen to be around either of these days??

Jesse,
We actually quite frequently (every 2 months) travel between Jax and family in the Punta Gorda area (thats actually how this whole PPL/plane idea started in the first place) and go right through the Ocala area. We are going to be going through this monday or tuesday (6/2 or 6/3)......will you happen to be around either of these days??

Actually, I will be in a meeting on Monday morning, then heading to Texas for a few days. Call me and if I'm available you can stop by. The following week would work better.

Actually, I will be in a meeting on Monday morning, then heading to Texas for a few days. Call me and if I'm available you can stop by. The following week would work better.

We were planning on being in that area either Monday afternoon (2pm) or Tues morning and heading back Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.....I will call you when it gets closer and see if any of those work....if not itll have to be in a week or two

Back