What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop for the RV-3A in moderate climate

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

long time now post and I hope things are good on your side of the pond. Actually I have just returned from the US as my family and me went to NYC, drove up the New England cost to Boston and we flew home from Logan Int. – worth while trip indeed.

Re the -3: I have just collected some 20-25 hrs since March which is OK but not a lot however I have good fun with it. Just 2 pics of the plane: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=750926#post750926

The question I´d like to get your advice on is re the prop - if you would be so kind.

The current Catto prop (2-blade Catto prop, 76 pitch 68” diameter) is a great match however it is the older version without the nickel leading edge and in our weather it already deteriorated quite a bit during some flights in the rain – I need to do something about it sooner or later.

Sooooo – what are my options:

1.) Take prop off, send it to Craig and get a Nickel leading edge installed:

• I can retain the low weight, the performance and smoothness (it might be the ideal prop anyway)
  • However I´d probably encounter some downtime plus shipment time and costs

2.) Order new prop at Catto with Nickel leading edge, swap it and sell the prop as is or get Craig to overhaul it and install a Nickel leading edge and sell it than:
  • I can retain the low weight, the performance and smoothness of the prop however however it still might be not bullet proof in our wetaher actually
  • Should be plug and play on swapping the prop
  • Min. downtime and I might get some money in from selling the prop
  • However I might encounter some lead time from Craig making a new prop

3.) Order a new or buy a used metal Sensenich prop, swap it and sell the prop as is or get Craig to overhaul it and install a Nickel leading edge and sell it than:
  • I am with a metal prop than and the performance and smoothness of the current prop is gone but the metal prop will last
  • Probably I encounter some distance, spinner and bolt issues (however it is not plug and play I suppose) and I need to accept more empty weight and a forward moved CG (no issue however)
  • Little downtime however more than and I might get some money in from selling the prop.

OK – what do you think?

Any advice and assistance welcome, Heinz

Last edited:
Prop tape

Hi Heinz,
I also have a Catto on my RV-3B, without the nickel leading edge.
Craig can send you some acrylic leading edge tape that will
protect the edge pretty well in the rain.

The tape he provides is quite difficult to apply without
getting bubbles or wrinkles, but it is also quite tough. It
does not last forever and will eventually need replacement.
I have about 150 hours on mine and it is starting to fail
at the tips.

If you are otherwise happy with your prop (ie. the pitch is
correct for the engine), I would try the leading edge tape
before ordering a new prop.

Another option is the 3M paint protective tape you can
get from Aircraft Spruce or some auto paint suppliers.
This material is easier to apply, but also less durable.
I use it on the Hartzell prop on my RV-10, but it needs
replacement a couple of times a year.

- Dan Benua

If you have a Lycoming O-320 (or even an IO-320) engine on it, then you've got a 4th option. The new Sensenich ground adjustable carbon fiber prop has stainless steel leading edges. I just put one on my RV-6 a few weeks ago and it's working out fantastic. It's "turbine smooth", and only weighs 3 lbs more total installed weight than my old Aymar-Demuth wood prop weighed. That's accounting for the prop, spacer, spinner, and all associated bolts, washers and other hardware.

The performance of this prop has been fantastic too, and I love having the ability to change pitch easily if I desire. Right now I'm leaving it at the #5 pitch pin setting since that's a good blend of climb and cruise performance.

The biggest "problem" with this prop was that it was quite pricey... mine ran about $4300 for the entire kit with prop, spinner, and all hardware and that included overnight shipping from the factory to Texas.

Another issue is that on an RV-3A, you probably have a 12" diameter spinner, and the carbon fiber spinner which is available for this prop is a 13" diameter spinner and will not match the shape of your cowl, therefore you'd have to make a custom 12" spinner for the prop. The 13" carbon fiber spinner is about $650 of that $4300 that my new prop cost me. The prop alone is $3500 and comes with a 2.25" spacer that's specially made to engage the ground-adjustable hub with two extra steel dowell pins for positive mating of the spacer to the hub.

Last edited:
Neal, Dan,

thanks for the input.

The Sensenich GA prop is above that what I?d like to spend really. So I think I will investigate the other soloutions and I am already in contact with Craig.

Best, Heinz

Back