What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A with Autopilot in a RV-3A - what to be aware of?

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi,

after having sold my RV-4 to France I have now agreed on a deal re a RV-3A with both wing mods done (CN-1, CN-2). The plane will be worked on in the US to solve a couple of cosmetic issues and than it will get containeraized and shipped to Europe (so the wings will come off at a later stage). I must say that I am not a builder (shame on me :eek:) however it is planned to get a Dynon D10A with Autopilot (and dedicated AP74 Autopilot Interface) installed.

I am now trying to find out what is the best way to get the roll servo installed (in the wing) and what mounting brackets can be used best.

As far as I understand I will need:
- DYNON D10A EFIS 4" SCREEN W/O BACK UP BATTERY
- DYNON OAT PROBE D10A
- DYNON EFIS WIRING HARNESS D10A
- DYNON REMOTE COMPASS D10A
- DYNON AP74 AUTOPILOT MODULE VERTICAL D10A.

However when it comes to servos and brackets I get confused re the brackets and servo hardware provided from Aircraft Spruce.

Here are my questions:

a.) Can the ´RV- 4/8 Pitch Servo + Mounting Kit (Includes Servo Mounting kit- RV-4/8 Pitch + SV32 (std. output arm)´ be used for the pitch?

b.) Can the ´RV-7/8 Roll Servo + Mounting Kit (Includes Servo Mounting kit- RV-7/8/10 roll, Right Wing) + SV32 (std. output arm)´ be used for the roll?

c.) Is it likely that the TruTrak brackets shall work here too?

d.) Is it possible to install the roll servo while the wings are still on (the B-wing seems to have a maint. hatch however)?

This is the information from Aircraft Spruce on the servos/brackets/arms:
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/ap74.php

Any help very much welcome, Heinz

Last edited:
a.) Can the ?RV- 4/8 Pitch Servo + Mounting Kit (Includes Servo Mounting kit- RV-4/8 Pitch + SV32 (std. output arm)? be used for the pitch?

b.) Can the ?RV-7/8 Roll Servo + Mounting Kit (Includes Servo Mounting kit- RV-7/8/10 roll, Right Wing) + SV32 (std. output arm)? be used for the roll?

c.) Is it likely that the TruTrak brackets shall work here too?

d.) Is it possible to install the roll servo while the wings are still on (the B-wing seems to have a maint. hatch however)?

I think that you'll find that none of the "standard" kits will work in the RV-3 without some modification - but that doesn't mean they aren't useful (for parts). We had available the RV-6 wing servo kit and the RV-8 pitch servo kit when we did our -3. The pitch kit was really just useful for the drawing and the push rod parts - you will have to probably make your own mounts that replace the bell crank mounts in the -3, but the -8 drawing will show you what you are looking for.

The wing is thinner than the bigger RV's, so you will have to change the geometry of the diagonal brace a little - and it will be tough working in there (Louise mounted the roll servo in the wing before we riveted the bottom skin), but it is do-able. I had to remove and replace the servo after the plane was flying, so I know you can get it out and in through the inspection hole. Small hands help.

Bottom line is that for a -3, you will have to do some fabrication - if you don't have tools or experience, you'll probably need to find a builder who can help.

Paul

On the -6, the roll servo is mounted in the fuselage under the seat and is connected to the bottom of the control column. If you are going to have to have a custom install you might look at this placement, provided there is room in the 3 fuselage.

On the -6, the roll servo is mounted in the fuselage under the seat and is connected to the bottom of the control column. If you are going to have to have a custom install you might look at this placement, provided there is room in the 3 fuselage.

That's where I like to put the roll servo, and that's where it is on both our -6 and -8....but I couldn't find the room on the -3 - it is just too small. Many people use the wing location for the -6 (from my reading a majority seem to do so), and that kit can be modified to work on the -3.

that helps ...

Paul,

many thanks. Actually I have ordered the RV-4 pitch kit and the RV-6 (wing) kit for roll to come with the AP. The plane is now with Jesse from Saint Aviation in Florida - he is on the case now and I will pass on the information.

Thanks again, Heinz

? answer

Why put an A/P on a '3.....?

So you can refold the sectional.

Jim Ayers
RV-3 sn 50 in California
5 trips to Van's Fly-In.
3 trips to Oshkosh.
1 trip to Sun'N'Fun (1 of the trips to Oshkosh was in the same year.)
And I don't do near as much traveling as some RV-3 owners.

Butt saver

Why put an A/P on a '3.....?

Well - sometimes I am just unsure of my attitude (JOKING!!) and so I just switch on the AP that I don´t experience this (again JOKING):

11uvs52.jpg

:), Heinz

Last edited:
RV-7 Mounting kit

The kit for the RV-7 worked really well for me with no modification, HOWEVER, because the -3 wing is not as thick, the wiring harness will not fit without modification. The plastic cap of the plug needs to be removed and a flexible insulation substituted.

Autopilot is in ...

thanks all for contributing. Jesse mouted the AP recently.

The kit for the RV-7 worked proofed itself useful and the wiring has been wired without using a pre-fabricated wiring harness.

Heinz

Back