Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2020, 07:50 AM

Question Zip Tip v3 - Installing the access cover

For all the builders who have purchased the Zip Tips from Aveo Engineering... what is your preferred method of installing the fiberglass access cover plate on the underside of the tip? I have zero experience working with fiberglass and am looking for some ideas. I'd like to keep it flush mounted, but the cover is pretty thin, so I'm not sure it would take a counter sink very well without cracking...

I'm open to any suggestions...
RV-8 Very Slow Build In Progress
Empennage kit 99% done and placed in long term storage
Wing kit building in progress
Saving for fuselage kit
N163RV (Reserved)
My Build Log
2020 Dues Paid

Old 12-14-2020, 08:49 AM

I haven't done it yet, but was thinking soft "A" rivets and nutplates would be the way to go.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:58 AM

You can see the photos in my blog, link below, from about a week ago. Use the Lighting link at the left to find it quickly. It sounds like I'm about the same step as you, as I've been working on these wingtips in various forms for the past two weeks.

I installed #8 nutplates inside the access area, using CCC-32 cherry rivets (designed for nutplates) and a 0.025 aluminum strip to back the fiberglass inside the access area. I was still a little concerned about even those pop rivets pulling through, so I also put a dab of JB Weld in each rivet hole as I set the rivets to give it a little bit more strength.

For the access cover, I countersunk for #8 screws but I used Tinnerman washers to spread the load and protect the fiberglass. I will be "painting" my plane with 3M vinyl, so you can see the red vinyl holding the washers nicely in place.
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying fall 2021?

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
Old 12-14-2020, 09:00 AM

I used #6 nut plates in the fiberglass, worked fine.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:07 AM

Default I can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcurrier View Post
For all the builders who have purchased the Zip Tips from Aveo Engineering... what is your preferred method of installing the fiberglass access cover plate on the underside of the tip? I have zero experience working with fiberglass and am looking for some ideas. I'd like to keep it flush mounted, but the cover is pretty thin, so I'm not sure it would take a counter sink very well without cracking...

I'm open to any suggestions...
Hi Damien,

I'm up at Stellar Air Park in Chandler. I can help with those. I'm experienced with glass work and the Aveo product.

My email is jdairparts@gmail.com
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Flying, in paint
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 12-14-2020, 09:11 AM

Related question - has anyone figured out what to do with those triangle wedge pieces? I'm assuming that they fit into the trailing edge of the wingtip, once the wingtip has been cut to accommodate the aileron. Do you insert them with the smooth / white side facing the aileron? Do you have to cut them down to size? What do you hold them in place with, epoxy?

I'm still waiting on my back-ordered QB ailerons (9 months, and counting), so there is no rush. But, since they are sitting on my bench, and we are talking about these tips, I figured I should ask!
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying fall 2021?

N1814T reserved with FAA
Old 12-14-2020, 11:33 AM

Hi, Damien,

I countersunk for #6 screws and used countersunk washers; worked great. Just go lightly on the countersinking. I’m up at CHD if you want to check it out.

And someone got filler wedges? I didn’t get those on my shipment.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Yup. Got two wedges. They look like they are for the trailing portion of the inside gap of the winglet. I have not tried to fit them yet, as I do not have my ailerons yet and haven't cut that portion of the winglet yet to all the aileron to move.
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying fall 2021?

N1814T reserved with FAA
Old 12-16-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
Related question - has anyone figured out what to do with those triangle wedge pieces? I'm assuming that they fit into the trailing edge of the wingtip, once the wingtip has been cut to accommodate the aileron. Do you insert them with the smooth / white side facing the aileron? Do you have to cut them down to size? What do you hold them in place with, epoxy?

I'm still waiting on my back-ordered QB ailerons (9 months, and counting), so there is no rush. But, since they are sitting on my bench, and we are talking about these tips, I figured I should ask!
You’ve got it...clean up and epoxy into aft opening. I have the version three ZipTip Premiere Winglet tips (winglet, really?) for my 10, which needed minimal trimming, but there was a small gap at the trailing edge, so I just filled that with a little flox and epoxied the triangle in with a smooth finish. The tips were a pretty snug fit for me, so be careful you don’t expand the tip any when you fit the triangle in.

BTW, I use #6 nut plates and solid rivets with a shallow countersink - worked well.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 01-16-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the confirmation - and it is white side (the flat side) facing the aileron, right?

I had the impression that the Van's standard wingtips have an insert that goes in concave - leaving a recess. Maybe I was looking at the plans wrong.

But, for these, it should leave a smooth appearance on the inner (aileron-facing) side, correct?
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying fall 2021?

N1814T reserved with FAA