VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #11  
Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 AM
1001001's Avatar
1001001 1001001 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Just Minutes from KBVI!
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslayback View Post
Hello 1001001,


I guess I have two questions you may be able to help with.

Is there anything from Mattituck that states what the closest build of an IO-540 could be?

It's their Experimental TMXIO-540 but is there a close comparable to all of the versions of the certificated Lycoming IO-540? Maybe Mattituck has something buried in the original build sheet.

Secondly, are you aware of any ADs on the case or lower end?

I guess I'm in the dark on camshaft and crankshaft part numbers for now.

Too bad they didn't make the records available.
As far as a close certificated build, I think all of the TMX-IO-540 are potentially customized to the buyer's spec. As noted above, they wouldn't be built to conform with a type certificate.

The original document from Mattituck contains an AD list that was complied with as of the construction of this engine. If you have the original log that was provided to the buyer by Mattituck, I would think you'd have that list as well. It also contains an initial log entry (on a sticker with Mattituck letterhead/logo) that "All FAA AD notes applicable to the engine as a whole, the accessories supplied with the engine or any parts or components used in the assembly of the engine have been complied with todate. A list of AD note status is attached at the rear of this Logbook."

Did Teledyne say that they have no records at all from Mattituck? If you have a work order number for the engine construction, perhaps they would be able to look that up? The initial log entry in my logbook states a work order number.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM
sslayback sslayback is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks.

Unfortunately I may not have any of the Mattituck documents.

And Teledyne said the records are not available.

Not a great situation but it has been topped at least.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM
1001001's Avatar
1001001 1001001 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Just Minutes from KBVI!
Posts: 1,128
Default

Here's a list of the ADs listed in the original Mattituck docs as being related to MY engine. This is likely not complete, nor possibly even applicable to YOUR engine, but it might be a starting point for your searches. Most of them are listed as not applicable to my engine due to not having those parts, or S/Ns not within the AD range.

PLEASE make sure you follow up on your own individual items.

Hope this helps:

75-08-09
78-23-08
87-10-06 R1
91-08-07
92-12-05
93-11-11
94-01-03 R2
94-06-09
95-07-01
95-26-02
96-09-10
96-23-03
97-01-04
97-15-11
98-17-11
99-04-04
2002-12-07
2002-19-03
2003-14-03
2004-05-24
2004-10-14
2005-12-06
2005-19-11
2006-10-21
2006-12-07
2006-20-09
2007-04-19
2008-14-07
2008-19-05
2009-02-03
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 PM
sslayback sslayback is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
Here's a list of the ADs listed in the original Mattituck docs as being related to MY engine. This is likely not complete, nor possibly even applicable to YOUR engine, but it might be a starting point for your searches. Most of them are listed as not applicable to my engine due to not having those parts, or S/Ns not within the AD range.

PLEASE make sure you follow up on your own individual items.

Hope this helps:

75-08-09
78-23-08
87-10-06 R1
91-08-07
92-12-05
93-11-11
94-01-03 R2
94-06-09
95-07-01
95-26-02
96-09-10
96-23-03
97-01-04
97-15-11
98-17-11
99-04-04
2002-12-07
2002-19-03
2003-14-03
2004-05-24
2004-10-14
2005-12-06
2005-19-11
2006-10-21
2006-12-07
2006-20-09
2007-04-19
2008-14-07
2008-19-05
2009-02-03


Thanks ....

Like you said though, it's a shot in the dark and I suppose theres no way of knowing whats in the the lower end of this engine.
But your info is something I can at least familiarize myself with.

What a disappointment for an organization like Teledyne Continental to really do a dis-service to Mattituck customers.

Your engine was a 2009? You hadn't discovered any newer ADs?

Last edited by sslayback : 11-25-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2020, 08:16 PM
philb philb is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 180
Default

I completely agree.

I got one of the last 540s before Mattituck shut down. After the transition, I sent an email to the head of the shop that built my engine asking more specifics, was told “no records were kept”. He did give me what was considered the equivalent lycoming model number, but that was it.

Who does that?? Was really surprised given mattituck reputation that there wouldn’t have been a provision for preservation of build information.

Phil
Bountiful, UT (KBTF)
RV10
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-26-2020, 06:04 AM
1001001's Avatar
1001001 1001001 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Just Minutes from KBVI!
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslayback View Post
Thanks ....
...
What a disappointment for an organization like Teledyne Continental to really do a dis-service to Mattituck customers.

Your engine was a 2009? You hadn't discovered any newer ADs?
Totally agree it is a disappointment that they didn't retain any build records of these engines.

By the engine logs, mine was manufactured in May of 2009. I purchased the engine used from a member here several years ago. It is not mounted on the airframe yet; it's sitting preserved on a pallet waiting for the happy day when I get to the FF installation. At some time prior to that, I'll go through a thorough AD check for new ones and ensure the recurring ones are up to date.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2020, 07:51 PM
sslayback sslayback is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
I completely agree.

I got one of the last 540s before Mattituck shut down. After the transition, I sent an email to the head of the shop that built my engine asking more specifics, was told “no records were kept”. He did give me what was considered the equivalent lycoming model number, but that was it.

Who does that?? Was really surprised given mattituck reputation that there wouldn’t have been a provision for preservation of build information.

Phil
Bountiful, UT (KBTF)
RV10

What equivalent model number did they give you Phil?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-27-2020, 10:46 PM
philb philb is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 180
Default

That would have been helpful, huh😂

This was the email I got from the head of the shop:


Thank you for your email regarding your inquiry on the TMXIO-540 engine built by Mattituck.
I regret we no longer have the records available on any of these engines. I can determine by the serial number that
your engine was a Lycoming part engine, and can tell you with about 99% accuracy that if the engine is a fuel injected engine
with Parallel valves cylinders, that it is a 260 HP engine that would be equivalent to an IO540D4A5.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-2020, 05:36 AM
10builder's Avatar
10builder 10builder is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 142
Default

My TMX-540 arrived in April 2006, and the equivalent I recall being given was the D4A5 as well.
__________________
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther N87XP
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)
2020 VAF donation cheerfully submitted!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-28-2020, 07:52 AM
deek deek is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Flathead Lake Montana - 8S1
Posts: 348
Default

As a personal friend of Parker and Jay Wickham that founded and operated Mattituck for over 50 years, Parker must be rolling over in his grave with the family business transition to TCM and later the Chinese AVIC
__________________
'83 LongEZ - N888EZ 3,671 hours
'89 LimoEZ - N26EZ 686 hours (sold)
A couple of Glasairs and a Lancair 320...
Next: a RV14 need something to build
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.