Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRichichi View Post
I've tried multiple ways to cut the oil filter media away from the filter itself. Most of the ways I've tried I feel like I'm about to cut a finger off. All of them create a huge mess. With one exception.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ltercutter.php

Yeah, it's expensive. But once you use it, you'll never go bad to the old way of cutting the media off. It works on "long" filters (6.19" long) and "short" filters (4.38" long). If you use Tempest filters, you'll need to get the adapter that works for Tempest filters. The adapter works for both long and short Tempest filters.

I hope this helps.

Jeff
That looks like a good tool for an EAA chapter, or a group of guys at an airport to go together on. Pass it around, charge $10 per use. Buy beer with the money!
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2021 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 11-09-2020, 12:23 AM

Default tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
That looks like a good tool for an EAA chapter, or a group of guys at an airport to go together on. Pass it around, charge $10 per use. Buy beer with the money!
Indeed, but everyone needs to use the same brand of filter. I've only used Champion filters - any idea why the tool would need to be different for a Tempest or Kelly?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Indeed, but everyone needs to use the same brand of filter. I've only used Champion filters - any idea why the tool would need to be different for a Tempest or Kelly?
The internal components of the Champion, Tempest and Kelly filters are slightly different from each other. They make adapters for these filters (about $100 per adapter). Yeah, if you were going to get this for a group, get all the adapters. If you plan to get this for yourself and you only use one type of filter, then no need for any additional adapters obviously.

Like I said, it's expensive. But it's a very high quality tool. It actually does something I didn't think could happen. It makes cutting off oil filter media fun...

Jeff
Old 11-09-2020, 06:15 AM

Default Cutting filter media

Lots of ways to do this, but a hacksaw or just a hacksaw blade work fine. Saw thru the paper until you contact the center tube and work your way around. Once the paper element is removed I divide it into 3 or 4 sections, wrap in a paper towel and squeeze it hard in a vice. This removes most of the oil and makes the looking for debris easier. Run a magnet over the whole outer surface of the paper to find steel particles that can be hard to see. Oil analysis is a whole different thing on a microscopic level. Iíve seen good oil sample reports on engines that had significant metal in the filter. Donít forget about the suction screen on the oil sump. I once found part of a gear tooth checking that.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
I used to use a hacksaw to cut the paper from the end plates but lately I've been using a Stanley utility knife with the "heavy duty" blades, which are a bit longer than the light duty ones. You cut through all the paper pleats and lastly take pliers and break away the bent strip which holds the pleats together.
+1 on the utility knife - quick and easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stanley-utility-knives-10-099-64_1000.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	4494  
12iS SLSA #5
Salt Lake Int'l
Old 11-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Utility knife for end cuts and serrated steak knife for radial cuts -- hack saw blades tend to create bits and pieces of filter material which can complicate your visual assessment of debris. Pliers are also useful in removing recalcitrant filter pleating.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,020+ hours (as of Apr 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2021.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I'm no expert, but a mini-hacksaw worked great for me

https://www.google.com/search?q=mini...w=1750&bih=881
Thatís what I use.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:32 AM

How about an electric carving knife? I have not tried one but I've often thought that electric knife would make the job a breeze.

I think my wife needs a new knife this year for the turkey
Jacksonville, FL
Old 11-09-2020, 09:01 AM

I use the serrated blade or the saw blade on my Leatherman tool
Old 11-09-2020, 09:59 AM

OLFA brand utility knives featuring the 25mm heavy duty blades, models: XH-1, XH-AL, H-1, & EH-1, all using the HB blade.
I always use a new blade on each filter, clean cutting.