What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

47-27 Question: Top Cowl Airlets Adjustment

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I don't find too many things in the plans that don't need to be done, but I think that I found one and want the experiences of others.

47-27:

Steps 3-11 don't appear to need to be done. When I join up the top and bottom cowling, everything seems to line up and I don't need to do any of the fiberglass work that is suggested. The top outside lips of the top cowl air inlets line up well with the bottom cowl. In the plans, the pictures show those intersections to be quite far off.

what have others seen with their cowling?

Thanks

I am just riveting the hinges on now and mine are looking fairly good. Maybe a slight bit to be done but not near what is shown in the images.

Ok, so I am not the only one. I think that mine is close enough that a little sanding will get it done.

I am very interested in how the gasket on the lower cowl joins up with the baffle system to form a seal. I guess I will just do and see.

Ours were almost perfect. Credit Vans with some great molds and instructions that minimize any cascading errors in alignment. So no, you won't need to do much if anything.

I mis interpreted the plans. The build up of the top cowl with resin is so that you can grind it down to match the curve you make on the bottom cowl on the previous page. It turns out that the right lower cowl side needed quite a bit of grinding/sanding to get a nice rounded curve down to the baffle seal.

Back