What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First engine start

rvdave

Well Known Member
Been waiting for this day for eight years, first engine start went pretty well but a few items to address. Engine had been pickled so a lot of smoking, left a wet trail on the ground and some on the belly but quit smoking after a while. Rpm pulses needed to be adjusted was showing double rpm. Thing I'm concerned about is I have dual lightspeed ignition and when trying a "mag" check backfired and so didn't try it again. Prop cycled ok after letting oil get to hub. Brakes wouldn't hold during high rpm, need to check that maybe break in brakes better. Need to look into lightspeed wiring before another start. Happy though that this new engine is working, engine parameters look good.

Last edited:
Dave, glad you got to do your engine start. It is a good motivator for sure. Did you figure out why so much smoke? On my first start, I had smoke too. I believe it was because I stored the engine completely full of oil and rotated it in a stand every week or so.

I had a few things to correct too. I didn't show any RPM and when I switched to one mag, it stopped dead. Both were minor things to correct and now it runs great!

Im sure you are as anxious to get in the air as I am. Have fun with the rest of your build.

Found I had ignition switch wired incorrectly, corrected that and ignitions check individually now about 100 rpm drop. Briefly got to 2650 rpm so time will tell if I need to adjust governor? Brakes held good this time. Now to get ready for inspection.

Congrats - a great milestone. My Aerosport engine had been pickled for over 2 years but started 3rd blade - frightened the bejeezers out of me!

Concerning the RPM. Static RPM is controlled by the fine pitch stop on the hub. At sea level, it should be in the order of 2600-2650. The governer only kicks in once you accelerate and the prop comes off the stops. You won't know that until your first TO. If the RPM stays at 2650, then the governer is controlling the static RPM and you need to adjust it higher and (probably) the fine pitch stop lower. If the RPM accelerates above 2700, then simply reduce to 2690 and leave it. Once back on the ground, adjust the screw to the stop.

Back