What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lighted Switches

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
So while sitting with my wings complete and awaiting the arrival of the fuselage I took the time to photograph some back lighting options for AML34 Switches that fit nicely under Garmin GDU46X panels in the RV-14. These AML54 rockers from engravers.net are shown in AML34FBA4AC01 switches with LE-0504-01 LED Lights from digi-key.
Switches.jpg

These are all the same Switch and Rocker, just with different LED lights installed (really easy to change out). From left to right is Blue, White, Yellow, Green, Red. Of note, the Green is really bright and the blue is not far behind. I am doing some additional experimenting with filling the transluscent engraving with white paint to make it more readable when the light is turned off. Will post more info on that later.

Thanks again to the guys at engravers.net for sending me some sample rocker switches to play with.

Last edited:
As Stein would say just my 2c

Pro's:
Look "fancy"

Con's:
Cost more
Quality/reliability not as good as Honeywell toggle
Quick connect push on connectors not as robust/secure as screws
More complex to install with wiring and dimmers
Take up more room

Pro's:
Look "fancy"

Con's:
Cost more
Take up more room

Plus 1, if I may.

Fair

Fair opinion. I would argue pros also include

Ease of switch identification in low light
Reduced risk of leaving components on when they shouldn?t be (Pitot Heat, Autopilot Inhibit, etc)

Not that anyone ever leaves pitot heat turned on after landing, right. I plan to make that one yellow or red.

I do agree in some cases upper face switch dependent lights don?t make sense because the normal position is ON such as the master, alternator, and avionics. In these cases it isn?t really notifying you of anything that you shouldn?t already be aware of based on your screens being powered.

I find the additional light indicating operation helpful for things such as pitot heat, landing light, navigation lights, autopilot inhibit, ESP-X activation, etc. just differing opinions which is why I love experimental aviation. Everyone gets to have it their way.

That?s why we build

We build experimental airframes so we can choose what we want. As long as it?s safe and functional, builders choice. VAF needs to limit naysayers, what?s the point to dissing others personal options?

Thanks for sharing the color options, I applaud the effort and might need.

Seems easier to criticize than create.

Colors for IFR

So for the experts on IFR lighting, what colors are best for an IFR panel? I was taught green or yellow, but my IFR ground school said to use white when on final and dont worry about preserving night vision because proper color rendering was more important.

What are everyone’s thoughts on color for IFR?

Data point

At work, pretty everything is white light with the exception of a red lense on the grimes light...that never gets used...

IFR vs night

So for the experts on IFR lighting, what colors are best for an IFR panel? I was taught green or yellow, but my IFR ground school said to use white when on final and dont worry about preserving night vision because proper color rendering was more important.

What are everyone’s thoughts on color for IFR?

I hadn’t really thought about lighting in regards to IFR as much as night. During daylight any of the colors would be fine and during daytime IFR I suspect the same would hold true.

Now at night, if using these type of switches I would definitely have them on a dimmer. Especially if you want green, blue, or white. While preserving night vision may not be critical, you still don’t need a bright set of lights shining in your eyes. Yellow was definitely the most docile of the colors and if all else fails I think that would be my fallback color. Good thing is the LED lights that change out so easily are about $1 each. So easy to change the color if you change your mind.

Last edited:
Get the correct bulb design.

just differing opinions which is why I love experimental aviation. Everyone gets to have it their way.

And no one has to be wrong.

My 10 friend has the Honeywell lighted rockers and they are really nice at night. Get the correct bulbs, though, the Honeywell incandescent style with the filament holders - you can get them at Mouser. Otherwise they are very short lived. The LEDs are nice but do not dim, either blinding or off.

Pro's:
Look "fancy"

Con's:
Cost more
Take up more room

We build experimental airframes so we can choose what we want. As long as it?s safe and functional, builders choice. VAF needs to limit naysayers, what?s the point to dissing others personal options?

Thanks for sharing the color options, I applaud the effort and might need.

Seems easier to criticize than create.

You may call me a 'naysayer' but my suggestion to re-evaluate the suggested equipment comes from 45 yrs of aircraft experience.
Many new builders try to duplicate their Lexus style interiors in their aircraft.
I suggest you look at Boeing and try to duplicate their cockpit instead.

And no one has to be wrong.

My 10 friend has the Honeywell lighted rockers and they are really nice at night. Get the correct bulbs, though, the Honeywell incandescent style with the filament holders - you can get them at Mouser. Otherwise they are very short lived. The LEDs are nice but do not dim, either blinding or off.

LEDs in the Honeywell switches are dimmable but you need to use a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) dimmer, not vary the voltage (like you use with incandescent lamps).

You may call me a 'naysayer' but my suggestion to re-evaluate the suggested equipment comes from 45 yrs of aircraft experience.
Many new builders try to duplicate their Lexus style interiors in their aircraft.
I suggest you look at Boeing and try to duplicate their cockpit instead.

Besides, how was that a naysayer... you provided pros and cons!

Not IFR specific, but the latest research I read into night vision suggested that preserving night vision was correlated much closer to brightness than to colour. Red, Green, Yellow, doesn't really matter which one as long as you only have it as bright as necessary to read what you need to read. That said, consider what having a single colour will do to the readability of multi-colour gauges.

I would like to see how bright they are in the dark.

I added a green LED to indicate when the fuel pump was on. Worked great until my first night flight. The thing was blinding!

Night

I would like to see how bright they are in the dark.

I added a green LED to indicate when the fuel pump was on. Worked great until my first night flight. The thing was blinding!

I?ll try to take some photos tonight and post. It is probably difficult to tell without being side by side and lit at the same time( I currently only have 1 switch and rocker). Will see what we get.

I've got the white Honeywell rockers (engraved) on a dimmer and they work great at night. They definitely need to be on the dimmer.

I've got the white Honeywell rockers (engraved) on a dimmer and they work great at night. They definitely need to be on the dimmer.

Honeywell rockers here too, engraved white switches with black lettering, with white LED lights. Dimming controlled by Garmin GAD 27 and a pot. The first LEDs were too bright (cool white) and I swapped them for ?warm white?. Dim them gradually through dusk, low for night ops (landing, takeoff) and ?off? for night cruise. Extremely happy with performance.

Warning lights are also an issue. My ?canopy open? light (amber) and ?fuel boost? (green) are dimmed at night (when panel lights are ?on?).

Back