What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

i.g. hose size

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
when an inside hose diameter is spec,d by an engine mfgr. is it assumed that on this hose is a fitting of much smaller i.d.? as i.d.'s of fittings vary, how does one know what is really minimum?

Bob,

That is an excellent question and one that is extremely important in ensuring that you have a system that functions as intended.

First off, when a hose manufacturer such as Rotax specifies a minimum hose ID, they are referring to the minimum ID of the hose itself, NOT the fitting. The minimum diameter of the fitting can be discerned by delving into the Milspecs and will be smaller than the hose since it fits inside the ID of the hose and must be of adequate wall thickness.

Though experimental aircraft don't technically need to meet the same requirements, Tom and I decided that every fitting and assembly we manufacture must exceed the milspec and undergo a hydrostatic pressure test just as the certified assemblies do.

In short, if you are utilizing one of our assemblies, you can be confident that they are following all applicable requirements.

If you are a builder that enjoys fabricating their own assemblies, and are unsure if the fittings/hose you are utilizing meets the spec, please feel free to reach out to us and we will be happy to answer your questions.

As always, Tom and I appreciate the opportunity to be part of so many incredible projects. With thousands of aircraft flying with AS Flightlines hoses, we appreciate the trust you place in us and are excited to be taking part in "first flights" on a daily basis.

Happy Building,
Steve

Back