What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912is Cost

Jcy482

Let me first be clear that this is my attempt to understand, and is in no way a criticism. Can anyone explain why the 912is from Vans appears to be about $10k more than it is elsewhere? Is it because other places are just selling the engine while Vans is selling everything needed to complete that portion of the project? If so, what are you getting from Vans that isn't included if you were to buy elsewhere? This is all new to me and I am the type that needs to understand before I buy things.

You buy from Van's, you get a plane built to a known standard, and you get the E-LSA rating for the plane, which means others that take a 16 hour course can do Inspection annuals, as well as the original builder.

Everything needs to be purchased through Van's, every single part, to get the E-LSA on the Registration, instead of a E-AB.

Let me first be clear that this is my attempt to understand, and is in no way a criticism. Can anyone explain why the 912is from Vans appears to be about $10k more than it is elsewhere? Is it because other places are just selling the engine while Vans is selling everything needed to complete that portion of the project? If so, what are you getting from Vans that isn't included if you were to buy elsewhere? This is all new to me and I am the type that needs to understand before I buy things.

The Van's RV-12iS Powerplant Kit includes the Rotax 912iS Sport engine plus all of the needed accessories including hoses, oil cooler, radiator, exhaust system, wiring harness, engine mount, all hardware, control cables, battery, documentation, and various other items to form a complete firewall forward kit. The price for the powerplant kit is $33,870.00 before you add your choice of propeller (2- or 3-blade options).

The Rotax 912iS Sport engine, without all of the extras included in our powerplant kit, typically sells for about $24,900.00, give or take.

To build ELSA the entire aircraft set of components, including the ones mentioned above, have to be acquired through Van's. If you don't follow that route you'd be limited to building/registering the airplane as EAB.

If I may add a follow-up question that is related to the original topic:

Do y'all think the additional ~$5k for the 912is is worth it over the 912ULS?

I realize you do away with all the "sinker club" issues, balancing carbs, and carb rebuilds. But other than that, is there any big benefit?

The slightly better fuel economy would take a long, long, long time to pay off the difference in cost via fuel cost savings.

Just musing, while looking at my "what will it cost" spreadsheet this morning. :)

If you are considering running two 10" glass EFIS screens, I'd go with the additional charging capabilities of the 912IS motor.

If just one 10" Dynon or Garmin screen, then it a 912 ULS should be just fine.

I run my 912 ULS at 5200 to 5300 rpms on almost all trips, and see about 4.5 gallons consumption per hour. I try to fly about 2 or more hours per week. It is a reliable motor, but you will have carb rebuilds to do, perhaps years down the line.

Old mogas in the tank seems to gum up carburetors a lot worse than in EFI systems.

Wheel pants and slowing down to 4900 or 5000 rpm will save you fuel, too.

If I was worried about savings, or if I wanted to fly, I'd buy an already built RV-12 with a Dynon 180 package for flight instrumentation, for flying around home. Much, much cheaper.

Do you want to build, or do you want to fly? Building is expensive up front. Flying is expensive month to month, with the hangar, insurance, Service Bulletins from Van's every now and then, maintaining proficiency, and normal wear and tear. The first upgrade I would do is put some really meaty tires on the main landing gear with a lot of thickness rubber and 6 ply in 5.00 x 5.

Last edited:
Do you want to build, or do you want to fly? Building is expensive up front. Flying is expensive month to month, with the hangar, insurance, Service Bulletins from Van's every now and then, maintaining proficiency, and normal wear and tear. The first upgrade I would do is put some really meaty tires on the main landing gear with a lot of thickness rubber and 6 ply in 5.00 x 5.
Thanks for that! I hadn't considered the differences in charging systems. Right now my plan would be a single screen + AP. As for the question: BOTH. I love building, but I also want to do some flying. Some expense would be saved month-to-month because there's basically a zero possibility of getting a hangar here within the next 5 years (the average wait time for any airport in the area). I know it'd probably save me $25-$35k to just buy one, but where's the fun in that? :D

Take a look at the differences on the performance. Service ceiling is a LOT higher with the iS engine. Much higher service ceiling also. Downside is that it costs more and the completed airplane will be heavier.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/rv-12is/#aircraft-details-2
Interesting. I'd read the climb was better due to the different torque characteristics of the iS. Higher service ceiling is interesting, but of little value to me down here in the lowlands. ;)

It looks like I'll have to do some serious thinking before plunking down the cash. All of my Rotax PIC time to date (~20 hours) has been behind the ULS, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing with the iS version.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

One other thing... if you're going to be cheap, and run Mogas... the IS has all the benefits. 10% ethanol is not going to phase it, at all, and having vapor lock definitely becomes a non issue, pretty much, with a EFI fuel system. Knowing you live in hot Texas... that might be a consideration.

The IS motor package will start out a #775 bird, before paint, the ULS package, probably 750 -752# , both with wheel pants, which weight about 10#. Get rid of the wheel pants and you lose 3-4 kts cruise, and 10#

I'm 62, retired, and just learned how to fly. So no, I did NOT want to be a builder, I wanted to fly. So I bought someone else's completed plane. It was probably $30 to 35k less than the asking prices I see now on Barnstormers, May, 2020, and had about 170 hours on engine and air frame, which were both brand new, on a RV-12. It might be 40 to 50k less than for you to build up your own brand new fully painted up RV-12, nowadays.

Weigh your wants and needs, carefully. Can you afford it? Everyone's needs are different.

Last edited:
Range nonstop

One thing I’d add is that if I could change just one thing about my legacy 12 it’s the range. So, while the time to make up cost difference between the injection and carb engine is significant, I could get to both of my two most important destinations nonstop with an 912is vs needing to stop in my 912ULS.

One thing I’d add is that if I could change just one thing about my legacy 12 it’s the range. So, while the time to make up cost difference between the injection and carb engine is significant, I could get to both of my two most important destinations nonstop with an 912is vs needing to stop in my 912ULS.

You could also put in a 6 gallon Aux fuel tank and fuel pump in your RV-12 Legacy, and that would solve your range problem.

Do a search in the RV-12 mods thread for Aux fuel tank. I know, because the builder of my plane put one in, and it came in handy for the ferry pilot, flying my plane back from South Carolina to California. Especially in Texas and Arizona. 26.5 gallons on board was pretty helpful, had about 4.5 hours of range now, not 3.5. Made a difference on the very first leg, and at least 2 fuel ups, to get unleaded Mogas, back east, and near Midland TX. Climbing and losing altitude for a fuel stop are big time eaters, if you're a ferry pilot. 10,500 ft altitude, and slowing down a bit, if it saves a fuel stop at the end of the day, is a real time saver, overall.

However, if you're old, or have gone Basic Med or Light Sport pilot license, or gotta do a pee break, and get out and stretch the legs, every couple of hours, it doesn't make much difference. If you gotta get somewhere, the RV-12 isn't the best tool for the job. Get a RV-9 or RV-7 instead. Or maybe a Sling 2, it has 38 gallons of fuel capacity, I believe.

Last edited:
I’m fortunate in that I have no issue with 4 hour legs yet. Aux tank is simple enough but then I lose baggage. Not a big deal solo as I can use the passenger seat. But with a passenger it becomes an issue. I wish I could trade into a RV-12is for the 5k cost diff. But that’s just not happening. To me, if I were building, it’s a no brainer.

This is the primary performance benefit. 30% additional range is significant.

Back