What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 down?

ScottK

I hate this kind of news. I heard that an RV-3 crashed at Skypark Airport (KBTF) earlier today. Does anyone have more information?

My info is secondhand. I'm told that the plane was red, and I didn't get the tail number. The story is that the pilot ground looped after touchdown on 34. The plane flipped, crushed the canopy, and the pilot was taken away by life flight. I think the plane is based at BTF, and according to the lineperson I spoke to, the pilot is a friend of the fellow who flies RV-3 N9286T (I saw that one doing pattern work a few weeks ago).

-Scott

Its amazing what you find when you google.

That's a fact. Unfortunately Google's temporal paradox engine seems to be malfunctioning lately, and wouldn't give me a news story timestamped 6:07pm before I posted here at 5:47pm. Stupid Google. :)

Thanks for the link, though. I sure hope the guy's in as good a shape as the news suggests.

-Scott

Anybody know if the canopy was slider or tip over? Those tipovers in the 3's dont look like they have much roll over protection...could be a factory in injuries recieved? Hope the pilot has a quick and full recovery!

I'm doing Fine

Thanks, for all the positive comments!

I pulled some muslces in my back and got 3 stitches next to my left eye

Glad you're ok! Did this happen to be the RV3/Harmon Rocket I that was advertised awhile back on trade-a-plane?

I just read the linked article from the Utah newspaper

Anyone else think the style reads a bit like a high school newspaper expose on mystery meat in the cafeteria?

Just wondering.

bruce
N297NW

mh53j said:
Thanks, for all the positive comments! I pulled some muslces in my back and got 3 stitches next to my left eye
Thank goodness! Appreciate the update and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best,
Doug

mh53j said:

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Glad you are "okay". Fly something soon, even if it's a Cessna. lol

The slant on the news report was actually neutral, and gave a plug for the safety record of flying compared to cars. :)

RV-3 rollover protection

G-force said:
Anybody know if the canopy was slider or tip over? Those tipovers in the 3's dont look like they have much roll over protection...

The RV-3 slider may look like it has rollover protection, but the windshield and canopy bows are only 1/2 x .035 aluminum tube. Better to go with a tip over and a welded steel tube roll bar. Like this:

http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Airframe/DSC_0922.jpg

Tony

mh53j, glad to hear you're ok!

Did you recently buy it from Dave at WJF? I couldn't tell the N number from the TV footage, but it looks like a Rocket I know.

Get well & flying soon!
-Bryan

Last edited:
groucho said:
mh53j, glad to hear you're ok!

Did you recently buy it from Dave at WJF? I couldn't tell the N number from the TV footage, but it looks like a Rocket I know.

Get well & flying soon!
-Bryan

N455DB -- FAA database as a RV-3-R

mh53j said:

You didn't tell me about the stitches - will you be up there Saturday? - I may fire up buzzz early morn and come and help console ya dude.

Frase

Style

MSFT-1 said:
Anyone else think the style reads a bit like a high school newspaper expose on mystery meat in the cafeteria?

Just wondering.

bruce
N297NW
Bruce, I liked the style of the reporter. He reported pretty much what happened and when speculating he said that he was doing so. He also balanced the weekend accident rate of small planes with an acknowledgement that auto accidents increase on weekends too. No small plane hysteria for a change. In my opinion he did a good job.

Leave it to the media.

Dave Stark said:
Here is a link to the story, hopefully he's alright.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1054883

Light airplanes crashes do seem to be more common on weekends. In the most recent years we could find data for, 1997 and 1998, Saturdays and Sundays were significantly higher in plane crashes.

Perhaps it's because nonprofessional pilots get out and fly more on weekends, and our spring-like weather probably encouraged that lately.

Statistically though, plane crashes have been declining in recent years. It's statistically safer than driving. And in case you wondered, yes, there are more car crashes on weekends, too.

BECAUSE WE WORK ALL WEEK TO PAY FOR THE 100LL, and only have time on weekends to fly. ed. :eek:

Last edited:
Back