What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan IO-370 RV8 Considerations

ZAM

Patron
On order for my soon(?) to be delivered RV8 fuselage is an:

Titan IO-370
horizontal AFP FI
SAP cold air induction
counterweighted

Likely paired with a:

Whirl Wind 300 Prop

Any thoughts on the RV8/IO370 vs the "stock" Van's (I)O-360 build? I'm basically trying to eliminate as many design or supply chain issues so that the build is waiting on me vs parts and unplanned major modifications. "answers" are great, but really I'd appreciate any heads up on what I may want to look into NOW vs after I have a bunch of marginally compatible parts in from on me.

For example: High on my open questions is if the standard cowl will fit without major modification (or at all), or whether I should consider other options. Someone else ask about possible throttle cabling issues with the AFP/RV8.

Thanks!

Titan IO-370
horizontal AFP FI
SAP cold air induction
counterweighted

Likely paired with a:

Whirl Wind 300 Prop

Any thoughts on the RV8/IO370 vs the "stock" Van's (I)O-360 build? I'm basically trying to eliminate as many design or supply chain issues so that the build is waiting on me vs parts and unplanned major modifications. "answers" are great, but really I'd appreciate any heads up on what I may want to look into NOW vs after I have a bunch of marginally compatible parts in from on me.

For example: High on my open questions is if the standard cowl will fit without major modification (or at all), or whether I should consider other options. Someone else ask about possible throttle cabling issues with the AFP/RV8.

Thanks!
I have an io360 from mattituck with cold air induction and the AFP FM200 and I had to use different throttle and mixture cables, and I had to have a bump in the cowl, and I had to re-do my snorkel. If you use the FM150 it's easier I've read.

If you really want an easy install, go with the standard lycoming io360. Otherwise, there will be some things to change - none of it's hard, but takes a bit more time and money.

Titan IOX-370, FM 150, Titan cold air sump:
Custom mixture and throttle cable lengths
Custom fuel line lengths
Custom oil lines since I went with the showplanes cooler mount
Bump in cowl to clear fuel servo control arm
Lots of snorkel mods to clear alt and starter and cowl
Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust
Baffle mods for the tapered cyl barrel fins
Custom mixture/ throttle bracket. The AFP one didn’t work for me.
Custom heat shields for the controls

Once you go off menu, it tends to snowball.

Indeed - Mike, you reminded me of the other things I also had to do. Just like a woman forgets much of the pain of delivery when she sees the beautiful baby - so it is with our RVs! :D

Titan IO-370
horizontal AFP FI
SAP cold air induction
counterweighted

Likely paired with a:

Whirl Wind 300 Prop

I was talking to Titan a few months back. They didn't have counterweighted crankshafts available on the IO-370, and said it wasn't necessary. WW of course said that engine was too hard on most props and needed a counterweighted crankshaft. Glad to see you have a counterweighted crank in that engine. But I have to ask, what changed, or what did you say/do that changed the story?

Titan IO-370
horizontal AFP FI
SAP cold air induction
counterweighted

Likely paired with a:

Whirl Wind 300 Prop

Thanks!
Michael put a IO-375 in his build. Lots of photos here.
https://www.rv8-hangar.com/

I have a Titan XIO-370 in my RV-8. I'm not flying yet, but the engine is hung, cowling is done and baffles are almost done. I had to cut off the lower baffle that wraps around the cylinder barrels, and replace them with new ones I made for tapered fins (I found a pattern on VAF). My Vans cowling fits without modification. The control cables that came with my FWF kit fit just fine. I had to make a divot in the snorkel to make space for the alternator bracket, but otherwise it fit fine. None of the Vans exhausts fit this engine, I had to order the Vetterman 4 pipe for it.

Titan IOX-370, FM 150, Titan cold air sump:
Custom mixture and throttle cable lengths
Custom fuel line lengths
Custom oil lines since I went with the showplanes cooler mount
Bump in cowl to clear fuel servo control arm
Lots of snorkel mods to clear alt and starter and cowl
Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust
Baffle mods for the tapered cyl barrel fins
Custom mixture/ throttle bracket. The AFP one didn’t work for me.
Custom heat shields for the controls

I had to do the same on mine. It sounds like a lot but went fairly quickly. Snorkel mod was the most time consuming. I cut it in half and fitted each half then built a middle section to join them. I like the engine and prop a lot.

Other things to consider

If you use a Sam James cowl you will need a longer prop hub for the prop. If you use a Hartzell they don’t recommend the use of a spacer. A cold air sump will most likely require a 4 pipe Vetterman instead of the 2 pipe cross over at least that’s what I had to use on my 7. Also you want to match your prop to your engine or vice versa. An electronic ignition can put restrictions on your prop also so get advice from knowledgeable people

...A cold air sump will most likely require a 4 pipe Vetterman instead of the 2 pipe cross over at least that’s what I had to use on my 7. ...
Just another data point - I have the 2-pipe crossover vetterman with the superior cold air sump on my mattituck io-360 and it fits perfectly.

Cowling bump

Can anyone show a picture of the bump on your cowling? I understand that is needed for the fuel servo. How big is it?

Back