What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair Locking Fuel Cap shell leaking

mooneym20d

I'm New Here
I am new to the RV world and could use some advise. I have recently acquired an RV9A with O-320 160hp. It has the British made Andair locking fuel caps and unfortunately the left tank cap is leaking in the worst place possible, the shell that is installed in place with Pro-Seal or something equivalent. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what was the fix. How did you get the shell provided by Andair out without making a mess of the ring riveted into the fuel tank. Don't care if I ruin the shell as I have a new one, but any fuel tank damage is not acceptable.
Thank you very much.
Bob Harris
eight one zero 2 six 5 three nine six one.
[email protected]

I have the same setup on my RV-8 and have often thought about how I might deal with that problem. I have not done it, but my first thought would be to try to re-seal it using proseal, and just wiping additional glue under the ring with a gloved finger. Clean it very thoroughly, rough it up with some scotchbrite, clean again, etc.

If you really need to remove it, then a sharp hook shaped knife slowly sliding under the ring might remove enough of the glue to allow you to get it out. If I recall correctly, it's a pretty tight fit but there should be enough room to slide a thin blade between the two on the end - the top didn't have a lot of glue from what I recall, but it's been a while. I've done a small diagram of what I recall mine looking like, in cross section.

I imagine this won't be an easy job. Worst case is of course a dremel tool to remove the ring.

No matter what you do, it will be necessary to take a lot of time to clean the inside of the tank after - there will be stuff in there that can cause fuel line blockage. I might also suggest removing the tank for this operation if it starts getting ugly.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Fuel Cap Ring.png

Last edited:
You might also be able to dig out the space between the fuel cap ring and the fuel tank flange and reseal. Worked for me.

Back