What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Sealant

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I have read the threads about Sikaflex and the like, but rather than hijack those threads, I thought I would start my own.

I am getting close to installing my tip up canopy and rear window on my -7. I will mechanically attach the Plexiglas with screws as per the plans. However, during assembly, I want to add a bead of sealant to the plexiglass and screws for waterproofing. Something simple to keep water out and not ruin my Plexiglas, (PMMA) canopy/window.

Thanks.

I'm at the same stage, but were planning sikaflex only. There are several builders with sikaflex only that have flown for years now.

I'll hold off putting it in until everything else is in. The access is to good with it not being there.

Sealant vs Adhesive

Very much an ongoing debate for many.

Most sealants have some adhesive properties, it would be hard to find an adhesive without sealing properties especially if the thing to be resisted is water.

If you just need a sealant then things are fairly wide open, just find surface compatibility and do a little research to ensure you won't initiate crazing. (read properties or call manufacturer)

The Sika 295 UV route is a powerful adhesive as well as a sealant. It is used to attach very large and heave acrylic and glass panels in building construction, and does a fine job IMHO in this application.

For those considering establishing the bond or attachment with Sika consider the rebate requirements rather than simply using the product sandwiched between the canopy and frame.

I wrote an observation on potential stress concentrations with a sika installation here: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=195829

Thanks. I am not going the Sika route. I have talked with Van's tech support and was recommended to use fuel tank sealant as a sealing mechanism. Apparently, it is also paintable and I have some on hand, so that is the road I will be venturing down shortly.

Back