What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar in TOA or CPM (Torrance or Compton)

Piloto506

I will have my RV4 in about a month and a half and are looking for someone that would like to share a hangar at either Torrance or Compton airport.

The other option is to rent one. I have the opportunity to rent a hangar at either Torrance or Compton right away as well but again would like to find someone that would be interested in sharing as they are in the $500 monthly range.

Contact me via PM or Text/tel 2139257992

Cheapest you'll find

CPM has the cheapest hangars you will find in the area. It's a friendly airport and more relaxed than TOA although you can't go wrong based at either airport.

EAA Chapter 96 (AT CPM) has hangar space available which is lower cost.
Meetings are the third Saturday (Feb. 18).

you can find out more about the hangar space here:
http://www.96.eaachapter.org/hangarspace.htm

Most definitely. I would love to be in Compton just would like to offset some of the costs by sharing it with another plane. I plan on joining the local chapter as well for sure.

Ended up renting a T-hangar at CPM. I will be joining the local chapter as well so that should be fun. I was a member previously but never really active.

The hangar will be empty for a couple of months in case anyone needs a temporary space until I can bring my plane over as it is currently in TX.

Also still looking for anyone interested in sharing preferably a smaller plane, high wing, canard, or ultralight as the hangar is 1,000 sf, 40' wide, 35' deep.

Hey Piloto506,
I'm in a similar situation as you were a few years ago.
I'm looking for a hangar to build my RV.
Probably only need a partial hangar for that.
I live north of LAX and SMO doesn't allow any building and in general are trying to kick everybody out so there is less resistance before they close up in 2028.
Hawthorne would be the closest but I assume they are more expensive, still looking for a contact there to check out T-hangar prices.
After that CMP would be the next candidate.
Do you know what current T-hangar prices are at CMP?
Maybe know if there are any empty ones at all?
Or do you have a contact for me to ask?
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

The trick with SMO is that you are NOT building an airplane. You are building a metal sculpture! Prices are 50% market rates because SMO refuses to rent hangars to aircrafts. Tell the leasing office you are an artist looking for space to build a sculpture and you will be surprised with the price. You can't do phase 1 at SMO anyways so you will be stuck going to chino or camarillo and if it doesn't have an airworthiness certificate it's not an airplane ;)

Hangar

Hawthorne won’t be affordable. Was based therefor 20 years until they kicked us out, tore down our hangers and turned it into Citationheaven. Four of us moved to emt and found plenty of space. 4rvs on the field and one building a rv14. I have a 43x36 hanger for $707 a month and share with a car collector. I live in Westminster and on weekend mornings it is a 35-40 minute drive. gGood luck

@Davidkarlsberg That is an interesting approach. I usually prefer to be honest but I guess I can make an exception for people that try to keep planes out of hangars :) Also as you said, its a sculpture until its airworthy.

I will facepalm if they suddenly say:"sorry we only lease out to aircraft owners and builders" hahaha

@Mike6A Thank you for that information! I guess I try compton before I try EMT, merly bc of distance from me.

You don't have to worry about that! They will not rent hangars to aircraft anymore because they are not "compatible with the local community". I have both a hangar at SMO and HHR and I agree with the other comments about HHR being too expensive now.

Weld, if you choose EMT I know a car guy that would split a hanger with you. $350 month is cheap in Los Angeles. The guy building his 14 lives in Brentwood.

Last edited:
Hey Piloto506,
Do you know what current T-hangar prices are at CMP?
Maybe know if there are any empty ones at all?
Or do you have a contact for me to ask?
Any help is appreciated!
Thank you so much in advance!

About $480 a month. There are hangars available. If they tell you there are none available, remind them they are to remove a non-aviation tenant.
The number is 310.631.8140.

Compton as well as EMT was run by American Airports Corp. They lost the contract and all 5 Airports go back to the county. Many guesses but no one knows what rates will change if any. And what hanger requirements will be. The old guys say go could not even have a couch in your hanger under the county rules before they bid management out.

350 or 480 a Month... I doubt SMO can beat that even with a discount for an Artists like me that builds metal sculptures :)
But I will certainly try SMO first because a few minutes on foot beat driving 30 miles.
Still haven't gotten around to it due to my job being crazy busy at the moment.

@Davidkarlsberg Do you have dark blue RV at SMO?

What other costs come ontop of a little hangar? I assume some sort of renters insurance?

Last edited:
Back