What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 builders that have built other RV's

Day and night.

Did you have to do any size matching of the holes? They say the -14 is supposed to be final sized holes. I ask because I seen a video of a gentleman drilling and deburring on his -14 kit. Thanks for any info...

Last edited:
Did you have to do any size matching of the holes? They say the -14 is supposed to be final sized holes. I ask because I seen a video of a gentleman drilling and deburring on his -14 kit. Thanks for any info...
The fuselage is all punched to the size unless it was by design to allow for a better fit. But other shared parts such as wing or portion of the emponoge needs to be matched drilled much like other kits.

One big difference with other models is the quality of the plans and instructions. The other major difference is the canopy portion which uses all riveted parts for the canopy frame which is much more precises and easier to create a canopy that fits superbly, not to mention the canopy itself comes in two pieces which requires minimal adjustments.

One other advantage with the RV14 kit is that most parts are already included and requires less shopping/searching for parts. It comes with some wiring harness but I have not used those as it was easier for me to run my own wires that fits my application.

Hope this helps.

Some parts are carried over from other models (tail mostly), some are sized to be final or match drilled due to need for fitting. Most fuse/wing skins are final-size drilled.

The fuselage is all punched to the size unless it was by design to allow for a better fit. But other shared parts such as wing or portion of the emponoge needs to be matched drilled much like other kits.

Some parts are carried over from other models (tail mostly), some are sized to be final or match drilled due to need for fitting. Most fuse/wing skins are final-size drilled.

Most of the shared parts in the RV-14 kit are parts that are common with the RV-10. The RV-10 kit has been in a process of being updated to final sized holes so many if not all of those common parts used on the RV-14 are now punched to final size.

This can be tested on any part by checking whether an appropriate rivet size can be inserted into a rivet hole in the part. If the rivet goes in the hole is the correct final size. If not, it needs to be final drilled.

Most of the shared parts in the RV-14 kit are parts that are common with the RV-10. The RV-10 kit has been in a process of being updated to final sized holes so many if not all of those common parts used on the RV-14 are now punched to final size.

This can be tested on any part by checking whether an appropriate rivet size can be inserted into a rivet hole in the part. If the rivet goes in the hole is the correct final size. If not, it needs to be final drilled.

Excellent information!...Still better than having to do it all.

Back