What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you cut off your RV9 panel braces

Flyer2017

I'm sure there are threads discussing this but I can't find the right search terms to find them.

I'm replacing my steam gauges with a beautiful AFS panel. I need to cut off and relocate the ribs going from the subpanel to the panel and relocate them. I see lots of pictures of the F-745 ribs cut flush with the subpanel but no discussion on how to do it neatly. Can anyone direct me to a thread about doing that or give some advice. A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel doesn't get in flat enough to do the job. Maybe a vibrating multitool?

A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel doesn't get in flat enough to do the job. Maybe a vibrating multitool?

Yep. I've used both a cut off disc and a vibrating tool for this in the past. What ever it takes.
Be sure to incorporate some sort of bracing to take the place of what you cut out.

Once you cut it off, move it over to where it clears, add a simple angle bracket and you can put it right back on, drill new holes in the panel and away you go.

Probably a lot of what you are looking at is those of us that did it during the build. In assembly, I would suggest a small abrasive disk with some craftsmanship and patience. Don't cut it too close (recessed) as you'll still need to clean up the sharp edge from the "other side".

But, still, in assembly, only a 20min job to do the cuts.

Thanks for the information

I used a vibrating Multi tool with slow passes. They came right off. Then cleaned them up to the surface of the subpanel with a dremel and abrasive cone. Easier than I thought. Now they have new angles on the cut ends and are clecoed into the panel where they belong.

Back