What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deutsch connectors.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
Anybody use them? They look like a nice weatherproof, secure connection to me although perhaps a bit pricey.

I recently used some on an ADI Super Stallion wiring job. They require a special crimper, which works well but is difficult to gauge wire insertion depth while also crimping the rubber seal at the back of the pin.

I ended up crimping the wire and twisting the seal into place, instead.

Last edited:
They're great. You may find them cheaper at your local Caterpillar dealership. We use them in the mining industry - They have become a mining standard and we won't use anything else.

The Deutsch 'DTM' series might be more applicable to RV's, as they use a 20/22 gauge terminal instead of the standard 16/18 gauge of the 'DT' series, and the DTM connector is slightly lighter/smaller.

You can get mounting tabs for them also - but they are steel, so weight could be an issue if you were using a heap.

If you want any photos of the various Deutsch connector types/mounts in action, let me know and I'll take some at work today.

Hugh

Used these also on the build, got the CAT kit, crimper is spendy but fully adjustable for different Ga wire.

My all-time favorite connectors - Deutsch

d2kit-4.jpg

I love the Deutsch connectors. Really great stuff. I mainly use DTM for aircraft work (like Hugh alluded to). You can find complete tool kits on Amazon or eBay for them. I dedicated an old Astro aerospace crimper to the DTM barrel connectors.

Here is one tool kit called a "Tool Aid 18650" for $84 that can be found on eBay, Walmart (!), Amazon etc....

SGT-18650.jpg

I recommend the machined barrel connector type over the open crimp-on type, just like most DSUBs. I have a real super-duper Deutsch branded crimper for the open type pins and sockets but practically never use it for aircraft work. Farm tractors and machinery, yes. But I stick to machined barrel contacts for airplanes.

You don't need a special tool for insertion or extraction of the Deutsch pins. A small flat blade screwdriver and small pair of needlenose pliers fit the bill.

I also like the larger standard DT connectors but typically only for larger circuits (18 gauge +).

After years of ordering Deutsch connectors and pins onesy twosy I finally ordered a complete kit from Terminal Supply Co. It comes in a nice metal case with individual compartments for connectors.

DEDTMOKIT_LG.JPG

I had a bunch of great photos of DTM connectors I have used for aircraft applications on Photobucket before they went insane and I refused to be extorted by them and they deleted my pics. After the Photobucket boondoggle I rarely insert photos to internet forum threads anymore.

Examples of where I use them:
DTM connectors for the red cube fuel flow transducer.
DTM connectors for oil pressure sensors.
DTM connectors for under the panel manifold pressure sensors.
DTM connectors for stick PTT and trim connectors at the base of the stick.
DTM connectors for portable GPS bare data cable interface to panel avionics (GDL's, Comms etc...).
DTM connectors in the wing tips for LED strobe/position lights.
DTM connectors for wing root disconnects in case of wing removal.

Jim

d2kit-4.jpg

I love the Deutsch connectors. Really great stuff. I mainly use DTM for aircraft work (like Hugh alluded to). You can find complete tool kits on Amazon or eBay for them. I dedicated an old Astro aerospace crimper to the DTM barrel connectors.

Here is one tool kit called a "Tool Aid 18650" for $84 that can be found on eBay, Walmart (!), Amazon etc....

SGT-18650.jpg

I recommend the machined barrel connector type over the open crimp-on type, just like most DSUBs. I have a real super-duper Deutsch branded crimper for the open type pins and sockets but practically never use it for aircraft work. Farm tractors and machinery, yes. But I stick to machined barrel contacts for airplanes.

You don't need a special tool for insertion or extraction of the Deutsch pins. A small flat blade screwdriver and small pair of needlenose pliers fit the bill.

I also like the larger standard DT connectors but typically only for larger circuits (18 gauge +).

After years of ordering Deutsch connectors and pins onesy twosy I finally ordered a complete kit from Terminal Supply Co. It comes in a nice metal case with individual compartments for connectors.

DEDTMOKIT_LG.JPG

I had a bunch of great photos of DTM connectors I have used for aircraft applications on Photobucket before they went insane and I refused to be extorted by them and they deleted my pics. After the Photobucket boondoggle I rarely insert photos to internet forum threads anymore.

Examples of where I use them:
DTM connectors for the red cube fuel flow transducer.
DTM connectors for oil pressure sensors.
DTM connectors for under the panel manifold pressure sensors.
DTM connectors for stick PTT and trim connectors at the base of the stick.
DTM connectors for portable GPS bare data cable interface to panel avionics (GDL's, Comms etc...).
DTM connectors in the wing tips for LED strobe/position lights.
DTM connectors for wing root disconnects in case of wing removal.

Jim

Awesome! Thanks Jim for the info.

Will a Daniels DC-8 crimped work with these connectors? Are the pins standard sized?

DT (larger size) .. no way.

DTM (smaller size) - possibly, tho they are a tight fit in the tool. 0.076" dia vs 0.068 for the 20 AWG size.

I have a DC-8 "big brother" AF8 + turret that works well for both. I'm using the machined pins, not the stamped ones (not compatible with Daniels style crimpers)

Last edited:
Deutsch Connectors

You might also take a look at Deutsch 369 connectors. Smaller size IP67 rated and they use size 22 solid contacts plastic polarized color coded locking shells. You can easily get them from Digikey. Available in 3,6,9 positions. Great for avionics because of the small light weight size.
Mark C. RV9A

The DTM?s can use a machined crimp pin also, in 20 ga size. These are the same pins used in typical mil cannon plugs. I used the silver plated ones for power applications and gold for signal applications.

Weather tight, light weight and easy to assemble.

perfect

I used the DTM connectors for my build with the gold plated pins. They have been perfect. I used the plastic bases and ground off the lock tab for easy removal.

Last edited:
I make diagrams of my Deutsch pin position assignments and put them in a binder. I use these as a shop standard and pin the DTMs on each aicraft the same way for the same components. This allows modular interchangeability of components. I can remove a LED strobe from the wingtip of the Husky and mount it in the wingtip of the RV or C140 merely plugging into the mating airframe DTM and everything works the same. Same goes for JPI/EI engine sensors, Portable GPS unit power & data cables, fuel pumps (DT size), wig wag controllers, panel overlays, compass lighting, GDL 39's etc. No more loosey goosie white Molex connectors or wristlocks inside plastic tubing with a zip tie for me. I try to limit my use to applications where there is a connection needed and don't add them where an interconnect isn't needed, no matter how tempting (like the complete avionics bus bar and breakers). Just because they are great connectors doesn't mean they should be inserted as an potential point of failure. It's a personal preference.

Steve. If by plastic bases you mean the optional Deutsch surface mount plastic tabs that hold an assembled connector in place with a screw or bolt, that is a great idea. I have always been leery of snapping the connecor in place all the way on these low-profile plastic mounting brackets since it almost seems impossible to release later. So your modification is both an "aha" and "duh" for me. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, the DT and DTM can be used with high-quality solid contacts and crimped with standard density DSUB crimpers. I elect to leave my expensive Daniels crimpers and positioners to avionic connectors and use cheaper standard pin crimpers for the Deutsch contacts.

Jim

I make diagrams of my Deutsch pin position assignments and put them in a binder. I use these as a shop standard and pin the DTMs on each aicraft the same way for the same components. This allows modular interchangeability of components. I can remove a LED strobe from the wingtip of the Husky and mount it in the wingtip of the RV or C140 merely plugging into the mating airframe DTM and everything works the same. Same goes for JPI/EI engine sensors, Portable GPS unit power & data cables, fuel pumps (DT size), wig wag controllers, panel overlays, compass lighting, GDL 39's etc. No more loosey goosie white Molex connectors or wristlocks inside plastic tubing with a zip tie for me. I try to limit my use to applications where there is a connection needed and don't add them where an interconnect isn't needed, no matter how tempting (like the complete avionics bus bar and breakers). Just because they are great connectors doesn't mean they should be inserted as an potential point of failure. It's a personal preference.

Steve. If by plastic bases you mean the optional Deutsch surface mount plastic tabs that hold an assembled connector in place with a screw or bolt, that is a great idea. I have always been leery of snapping the connecor in place all the way on these low-profile plastic mounting brackets since it almost seems impossible to release later. So your modification is both an "aha" and "duh" for me. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, the DT and DTM can be used with high-quality solid contacts and crimped with standard density DSUB crimpers. I elect to leave my expensive Daniels crimpers and positioners to avionic connectors and use cheaper standard pin crimpers for the Deutsch contacts.

Jim

yes, grind the tab off the plastic base to allow for easy removal.

these crimpers work for me and DTM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H96T7I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Steve and others,

Is this still the tool to get for crimping the DTM connectors? I only had the Steinair red crimp tool, and unfortunately these pins don't fit with the regular positioner. I also have some 18AWG wires to crimp, so I'm hoping that Amazon tool is good for wires of this size and doesn't over crimp them as it's only listed as being good to 20AWG. Also, how is this amazon tool adjusted for the larger pins (do you have to drill out the positioner)?

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Steve and others,

Is this still the tool to get for crimping the DTM connectors? I only had the Steinair red crimp tool, and unfortunately these pins don't fit with the regular positioner. I also have some 18AWG wires to crimp, so I'm hoping that Amazon tool is good for wires of this size and doesn't over crimp them as it's only listed as being good to 20AWG. Also, how is this amazon tool adjusted for the larger pins (do you have to drill out the positioner)?

Cheers,

Tom.

Tom, look for HDT-48-00. These are the correct crimpers from what I've read. They are $$$.....even the knock-offs.

Thanks Randy. I was really hoping to not have to drop big dollars on one as I only have to do a total of five connectors for my tip lights and trim plug. I've been really happy with the Stein red handled beast for D-sub pins, despite it's inexpensive pricing, however the positioner is just too shallow for these longer DTM pins. I'm hoping Steve will chime in with what mods he had to make to the Amazon version, and particularly if it can crimp 18AWG wires. Better still, it would be great if Stein would start selling a DTM plugs and an associated value priced crimper, as it really seems to be the direction we Van's geeks are heading in if you want a sealed, quality connector.

Tom.

I received a mail back from Steve and he said he wasn't sure how well his Amazon version would do 18AWG, given that it is listed as only being capable of diameters up to 20AWG. I've ordered another red handled beast from a different supplier that is listed as being suited for DTM connectors. I'll give it a crack and will let you all know if it works on these 18AWG wires.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deutsch...3A7c1186f715d0aa11a87a0c15ffff2d03%7Ciid%3A78

Cheers,
Tom.

There are positioners for the DMC AFM-8 for Deutsch connectors. Don't remember the numbers offhand, but they're in the DMC Tooling Guide.

Hi All,

I finally coughed up the coin and purchased an AMF8 crimp tool. After much digging, I also found a positioner that fits the Deutsch DTM pins. It's the K1S (sometimes sold as just the K1) positioner. I tried it today it sets the perfect depth and will allow you to crimp up to 18AWG wires into the DTM pins (even though the AFM8 says it will only take up to 20AWG) which is what I am using for my tip lighting. Thought I should close the loop on this one.

Cheers,

Tom.

Back