What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adel and Adele ...

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
It's seven o'clock in my cold shop. I'm working on the FWF. My music is turned up loud.

There is something terribly ironic about listening to beautiful Adele while going insane trying to install Adel clamps!

Music is going up louder. Concentrating on Adele, with an an "e"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Nut launchers

Invariably you want to put one where hemostats or special pliers wont reach, or you are putting two together and you can't have the tip of the hemostat in the way.

There is only one truly general approach. Make a safety wire lasso and use safety-wire pliers to twist it tight, so it holds the clamp closed. Do that for as many clamps as you are going to gang onto a single bolt. Then, stack them up, put the bolt through, washer and nut just started, then use wire cutters to cut each lasso out.

It doesn't take much time, saves hours of aggravation.

While your grabbing your hemos, grab a nutplate too. Use it for a nut. Higher temp rating, lighter, and self capturing (if you put it on the correct side of the adel clamp). Can also be grabbed squeezed in the stack with the hemos. No wrench needed for removal. You can cheat with a longer screw too, but...nyahh.

Invariably you want to put one where hemostats or special pliers wont reach, or you are putting two together and you can't have the tip of the hemostat in the way.

There is only one truly general approach. Make a safety wire lasso and use safety-wire pliers to twist it tight, so it holds the clamp closed. Do that for as many clamps as you are going to gang onto a single bolt. Then, stack them up, put the bolt through, washer and nut just started, then use wire cutters to cut each lasso out.

It doesn't take much time, saves hours of aggravation.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm doing.

While your grabbing your hemos, grab a nutplate too. Use it for a nut. Higher temp rating, lighter, and self capturing (if you put it on the correct side of the adel clamp). Can also be grabbed squeezed in the stack with the hemos. No wrench needed for removal. You can cheat with a longer screw too, but...nyahh.

That's a cool idea! Thanks for the tip.

I too...

...am addicted to Adele, not so much with Adel clamps... It has never been clear as to why they must be made of spring clamps. That is what makes them such difficult little s...t's.

Jerry in sunny OR

Back