What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop requirements

mciaglia

Well Known Member
As I continue to entertain the thought of building an rv10 I am beginning to prepare my workshop/garage. I have a single car garage and a two car garage. My wife already has stated she is not parking outside. Therefore, I am limited to my single at this time until space is to tight. I already reviewed the measurements on Tim Olsens page, my single garage will fit the fuse with tailcone attached and heater box 214" per Tim. My question is...once the horizontal stab is fitted does it stay there or can it be removed to accommodate. In order to be able to work in my space it will have to sit a little diagonal.

Once I need to mount the engine and cowl I will have no choice but to move to the big garage. I'll cross that bridge later

Oh by the way...the final clearance to begin this project is pending a flight for my wife in an RV10. If there is anyone in the Houston area willing to trade an rv10 ride for a ride with me in my Christen Eagle II please let me know. I figure wait until it is a little cooler so it will be a smooth ride.

Thanks
Mark

Start in the BIG garage

Gold plate the single car garage for her. Epoxy the floor, put up "Parking for 'wife's name' ONLY" signs, new lighting, parking limit device, etc. Make that HER garage. You don't want to have to move the shop. And, don't forget about the paint booth. YOU need the two car garage!

Garage

Gold plate the single car garage for her. Epoxy the floor, put up "Parking for 'wife's name' ONLY" signs, new lighting, parking limit device, etc. Make that HER garage. You don't want to have to move the shop. And, don't forget about the paint booth. YOU need the two car garage!

What he said.:D

The HS, Elevators, VS and Rudder can be attached before you ever even build the fuse, then they can be removed and stored for final assembly at the airport. I recommend that you finish all of the fairings and tips at that time so you don't have to go back to them at the airport.

Thanks for the info. I already have all garages epoxy floored. The small garage is already my workshop. The big garage has her "nice car". Thanks for the info about the tail one construction and fairings. That really made all the sense

+2 on using the 2 car garage. I had the same exact request of my wife. I would move the shop to the 2 car portion. While it will be easy to finish the tail in a single stall, you will find yourself moving to the larger work area to accomplish much of the remaining build.

You *can* do it in a small space. My shop is 18x11 and I've finished the fuselage in there and am working on the cabin top. It's not always optimal, but it can be done.

David

I have very similar circumstances. At my first house, I built a shop just to build my RV-7--and it was great! Roomy, well lit, and AIR CONDITIONED! Definitely the preferred way to go. Was able to complete most of the structure build there.

Fast forward a few years and we're at another house. It started out with a "boat port" and a two-car carport. The boat port is now the shop, with benches, tools, storage shelves, etc. One half of the carport is designated for the plane, and the other half is for my wife's car. I installed garage doors so that my plane wouldn't go flying before me when the next hurricane blows through. :eek: So I now have a two-car and a one-car garage, at least from a realtor's perspective. The wings are finished and awaiting the fuselage at a friends hangar.

It works. It's not perfect, and I have to do the horizontal limbo around the tail, but I'm still building an airplane. And her car is out of the weather. It's a win win. Just do what works for your situation. With the proper motivation, you can make just about anything work.

RV-10 Houston

Mark,

I have a RV-10 based at KSGR. PM me if you would like to talk. Also, we have a group that gets together for lunch the 3rd Saturday of every month. There should be an announcement coming out soon.

Dave Syvertson

Back