What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving a RV-6A

Bob Hoffman

Well Known Member
Has anyone done this before?
I have a RV6A "slow build" that is in a rebuild stage that needs to be moved to another work location, tail is off but wings are on. I have heard that removing the wings are not an option is that correct? Has accomplished this before and how did you do it?
Thanks

Removing the wings is certainly an option. The problem with this option is that on a -6A, the wing attach bolts are also the main landing gear attach bolts. So; removing the wings means also removing the main gear.

Your call!

False Spar

One can build a "false spar" the width of the gear the same thickness of the spar and bolt same in place using existing bolt holes. We moved one from SC to OR this way. That way you use the gear and wheels.

6A move

Be advised that the width of the RV tires is wider than most trailers. You can put a short chain or strap around the wheels and use a come-along to pull the wheels in a bit. I actually have used a 2 x 12 strapped under the tires as a skid to load a 6A.

If you decide to remove the bolts you will need hammers and punches. A brass rivet set in a rivet gun works nicely to drive those close tolerance bolts out. It is a pain. There's about 54 bolts on a 6A and the ones thru the gear can be tough to remove.

I have done this in the last year. Wings off with a false-spar supporting the gear towers.

As noted, the gear is too wide for a standard trailer. However, it will 'just' fit in a 26' U-Haul truck. I bought a ramp-bracket kit from home depot and made two 10' ramps out of 2X8. I also used a boat-trailer-type winch to pull the plane up the ramp with a 'Y' harness to the main gear passing though a loop on the nose gear. That problem could be solved with a bunch of manpower as well. However it was handy to let the winch take the static load while wedging the plane into the truck.

I used the truck ramp for the nose gear and my fabricated ramps for the main gear. The door is a little narrow so I had to tweak the plane at an angle and get one wheel in at a time. Once in, it fit with the door closed.

How far?

From where to where and how far?

A veteran A&P I know moved a Tomahawk on a flat bed semi trailer. I have forgotten the wingspan but it has a very low aspect wing.

He had it hoisted on top with a sling. It was placed with the wings canted in a pronounced "slip" to the road so it would clear side obstructions and it was high enough to go over fences, regular vehicles, etc. The plane went across Texas unscathed. It did require an oversize load permit to travel on the major highways.

If you are going ten miles from airport to airport you might look into a flat bed wrecker. It would take some planning to see if it would work.

I have had a 6A on wheels with a false spar for a couple of years. I worry that it may have some detrimental effects, but taking the wings off a 6A and putting them back on is a worse torture than waterboarding.

Dave A.

Wings are optional for now ...

Has anyone done this before?
I have a RV6A "slow build" that is in a rebuild stage that needs to be moved to another work location, tail is off but wings are on. I have heard that removing the wings are not an option is that correct? Has accomplished this before and how did you do it?
Thanks

You didn't clarify the distance and nature of the route, but I recently moved my QB on a jetski trailer. The route was 5-6 miles, but mostly could be driven through residential areas at 25 mph. Got up to 40 mph a couple of 1/2 to one mile stretches, at 10:30pm there was little traffic. Had the fuselage closed up, no engine, canopy secured, and the VS bolted but no HS. Used a replacement false spar (faux spar) that I had made yrs ago, and the gear was bolted to the side of fuselage, and only a couple of AN3's on the spar side. (A little risky).

I used several tie down straps and routed them around the spar ends, and the main gear legs. Avoided strapping directly to the fuselage except one on the tailcone securing it to a construction step-up aluminum platform.

One picture on my 4/20/2015 "Workshop" build log
http://www.mykitlog.com/garyc

Would I do it again? Probably it worked. Platform of jetski trailer is wide enough but the smaller tires and light springs are scary. I never had the wings 'bolted on' except to do preliminary fitting. Did not have close tolerance (16) bolts, all street hardware. Easy removal ... (There are 80 bolts in the RV-6A spar).

Caution and assistance are prerequisite.

Be safe out there.

Back