What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie dRAGON

dRAGON

I'm New Here
Hi

guys,
Newbie here and it looks like a cool website! I am really interested in building a plane. I have to make a decision on which one soon - 7 or 8. In the meantime, I want to get myself a good toolkit and it seems I will be going with Cleveland tools. I have seen some good reports browsing through the site. I would like to build something while I wait for the kit so that I can get the riveting thing sorted before I start on the plane. I have seen that Vans have the two practise kits and I want to build them both for sure. Are there any other practise kits available or do I just practise on scrap plate?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
dRAGON

Welcome.

Martin, welcome to V.A.F....the best RV site on the planet.

There are quite a few Afrikaners on here who also make RV parts. Rvbits is one of them and I'm an old Kempton Park transplant, many years ago..

Welcome,

If you can fly in each--or at least sit in them--it may help you to decide. If you're an average size, you should fit just fine, but it's good to know for sure. Choosing between a 7 or 8 is largely a social issue, as performance is similar. Some passengers would much rather be a right-seater than a back-seater. If you have a significant other, it may be worthwhile to have this conversation!

The airfoil practice kit has essentially all the "practice" parts you'll need to make the tail. The toolbox kit will give you even more practice.

And Cleveland tools are good; Avery tools are good, too, with excellent customer service. Good luck, and welcome to the club! Enjoy!

Welcome, Cleaveland and Avery are both good tool companies. I would highly recommend a tungsten bucking bar. Does not have to be big, I use a 5/8"-1 1/2"-2" for most rivets. Also a big fan of the DRDT2 dimpling tool. Vans toolbox is a great practice kit. Once you put it together, try drill some of the rivets out and replacing them. Being able to drill a rivet with out oversizing the hole saves a lot of aggravation.

Her or her?

So you want to have a Mistress too. First order of business, make sure the first partner is Ok with that and knows not to have you make a choice between It or them. All the rest will work itself out after that.
Welcome, my 2 cents, buy as you go it is going to be a long trip.
Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Welcome

So you want to have a Mistress too. First order of business, make sure the first partner is Ok with that and knows not to have you make a choice between It or them. All the rest will work itself out after that.
Welcome, my 2 cents, buy as you go it is going to be a long trip.
Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Welcome Martin
This is the best advise. Everything else will fall into place.

Martin, welcome to V.A.F....the best RV site on the planet.

There are quite a few Afrikaners on here who also make RV parts. Rvbits is one of them and I'm an old Kempton Park transplant, many years ago..

Welcome,

Thank you for the welcome we in the westrand area

Welcome, Cleaveland and Avery are both good tool companies. I would highly recommend a tungsten bucking bar. Does not have to be big, I use a 5/8"-1 1/2"-2" for most rivets. Also a big fan of the DRDT2 dimpling tool. Vans toolbox is a great practice kit. Once you put it together, try drill some of the rivets out and replacing them. Being able to drill a rivet with out oversizing the hole saves a lot of aggravation.

Thank you for the advice it is greatly appreciated I will look into it

Back