What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to start building

thoma015

Well Known Member
So I was just DQ'd from AF pilot training for a kidney stone.....:(
Anyhow I won't let that keep me from my passion of flying. So it's time to buy and build. One question I have is about the space in the 7. I'm 6' tall about 190lbs, will I fit comfortably with my wife who is a average size girl? I also have a dog I may need to crate in the back every now and then.

I'm looking forward to this journey, and if anyone knows about a good deal on a Empennage kit and tools send em my way.

Sure!

Sorry to hear about your DQ. That's got to be disheartening.

But the good news is that you'll fit in an RV-7. If you have any doubts, see if you can find one nearby that you can go test fit. Depending on your proportions, there are different thickness seat cushions you can get that will make a difference. You can also get the ear plug type headset rather than the over-the-top standard headset...that will get you another inch or so of clearance between your noggin and the canopy.

If you can't find a -7 near where you live, seek one out at any air show or fly-in. There are ALWAYS RV's there, and most of us are more than happy to help someone that's genuinely interested in an RV.

It's a dog's life

So I was just DQ'd from AF pilot training for a kidney stone.....:(
Anyhow I won't let that keep me from my passion of flying. So it's time to buy and build. One question I have is about the space in the 7. I'm 6' tall about 190lbs, will I fit comfortably with my wife who is a average size girl? I also have a dog I may need to crate in the back every now and then.

I'm looking forward to this journey, and if anyone knows about a good deal on a Empennage kit and tools send em my way.

I fly with a Welsh Terrier in the back of my 9A. Think of a compact Airedale. He has a harness that is attached to the right shoulder harness cable that keeps him out of the cockpit but he can stretch out and enjoy the breeze when the slider is all the way back.

I'm your size and so is my dad; we both fit just fine in his -6 even when I was 50lb heavier, so you'll be fine in a -7.

I was NPQ'd out of the Naval Aviator program many years ago so I know your disappointment. As a current -7 owner I also know the joy you will experience flying one of these wonderful planes. BTW, I'm 6'3" and weigh 205. My wife and I are very comfortable in the cockpit.

I only share care and feeding duties for the neighborhood cat - sort of like a time share - so I can't address the dog portion of your question.

Robert

Back