What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick bushings

floridawing

Well Known Member
I am installing new bushings in my control stick weldments, RV4 diagram #35 control stick assy. The plans call for the bushing to be same size as the weldment? I spoke with Vans and they said that the bushings should be a little bit longer that the weldment so that you can capture the bushing and that the weldment (the stick, front and back) will rotate around the bushing. I did not see this in the plans but it makes good since. Other wise the bushing might end up rotating around the bolt. Any thoughts and pics would be great. Thanks!

I'm doing a 7, but I think the principle is the same. Some other experienced builders I talked to years ago recommended that you leave the bushing just barely longer so that there's very little play. This will yield a tighter feel to the control stick.

Bushings

Thanks Dave, one of my friends and Vans confirmed this . I guess that this is standard in aviation for bushings but I would be great if it was in the plans. Thanks!

Back