What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x w/Aera760 or 2nd G3x Screen

snoop9erdog

Well Known Member
Getting ready to make final avionics purchase

Plan is to use the G3X system 10". GTN 625 Navigator, GMU 11, GSU 25, GTX 45R or 35R XPDR, GTR 200B, G5, and a GDL 51R for weather and Music.

My dilemma is whether or not to go with a second 10" screen to the right and then for contingency utilize the IBBS for a backup along with a tertiary backup with earth X battery.

Or.....ditch the 2nd G3X screen and IBBS system and go with an Aera 760 that has its own 4hr backup battery and from what I understand can be coupled to the GTN 625, G5 autopilot, and GDL 51R. So in event that I lose main ship power, I can use the Aera and Autopilot and G5 to get to an airport....even fly an non legal IRF approach if I had to.

Those who are using an Aera and GTN navigator...how does the connection to the above components work? Use the one MapMX connection from the navigator to Aera and jump the same line to the G5? While the lone remaining 232 goes to the GDL 51R? Can I still connect to my Comm 200B?

Or just use a second G3X screen? But the contingency battery power with the Aera navigator sounds nice coupled with G5.

Thoughts? What makes more sense and what would you do. I appreciate the feedback

Back