What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-ethanol fuel

backcountry

Well Known Member
I’ve been using 92 octane successfully for quite some time. It seems to have solved my sinking carburetor floats problem. However, my fuel supplier now only has 89 octane.
My question does anyone know how to raise the octane safely question?
I’d rather not have to use leaded fuel.

You’re in a part of the country with high humidity. Might be best just to buy fresh 93E10 so you know octane is sufficient. The ethanol will help absorb water. Rotax stipulates auto fuel with 10% ethanol. Costco is excellent source for Tier 1 fuel.

Install new Marvel-Schebler epoxy floats and no more worries...

Ethanol octane rating

When you mix 10 percent 113 octane ethanol with 90 percent 91 octane gasoline it increases the octane two points to 93 octane. So the higher the ethanol content, the higher the octane.
If you have a Lycoming or the clones fuel system it will work fine.
I would check that fuel lines FWF are fire sleeved and that tank sealant is
compatible with ethanol. A cool air hose to the fuel pump is recommended.
First flight test with 100 LL in one tank and Mogas in the other.
First take of with 100 LL. After testing you will know more.

Good luck

You’re in a part of the country with high humidity. Might be best just to buy fresh 93E10 so you know octane is sufficient. The ethanol will help absorb water. Rotax stipulates auto fuel with 10% ethanol. Costco is excellent source for Tier 1 fuel.

Install new Marvel-Schebler epoxy floats and no more worries...

Where can you find information for ordering the Marvel-Schebler expoxy floats.

Looked at McFarlane's site via the link you offered: it states ' EACH'
as I read it, it's twice the $147. That's not too much of a difference. Nor is it cheaper, then?
But I might be mistaken...

Looked at McFarlane's site via the link you offered: it states ' EACH'
as I read it, it's twice the $147. That's not too much of a difference. Nor is it cheaper, then?
But I might be mistaken...

147 per carburetor... $294 plus shipping for both carburetors. Is that not less than Aircraft Spruce at $331?

I can verify, from Mc Farlane they come 2 in a box. I live near Spruce (no shipping) and it was cheaper to have them shipped from Mc Farlane.

Back