What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's minimum N number size in USA.

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Well time to put N number on plane. What size does USA and Canada require? Three inch or two inch for. USA? Canada? May want to go to Victoria BC sometime. Thanks

Ron in Orego

Schemedesigners.com has a pretty good summary of the FAA requirements for N number size & placement. There's some room for interpretation, but RV aircraft can have 3" numbers. Of course, the FAA website has it all straight from the horse's mouth...it's just a little more wordy.

Your US letters will be accepted when you fly into Canada, so the Canadian requirements are irrelevant.

In the US........

Because the design is over 30 years old, the RV-3, -4, and -6 may use 2" numbers as long as the maximum cruise speed is not over 180 kts.

Because the design is over 30 years old, the RV-3, -4, and -6 may use 2" numbers as long as the maximum cruise speed is not over 180 kts.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Unless you are going to fly out of the US to the South (ADIZ) then 12" numbers are required but they don't have to be permanent. :cool:

OK. Let's see if I have this straight. One can fly US-Canada and return with 3 inch letters (or 2" if applicable). To fly to Mexico or other points south, one needs 12 inch letters only for the return trip. Do I have that right? Thanks.

Cheers, David

Generally, 3" is the going size for RVs.

My understanding is that the 2" height is for exhibition aircraft and your aircraft has to be registered as such. The date of manufacture is taken into account, but I don't think that applies to 30-year-old designs if you're just finishing up building now.

AOPA also has a good summary here.

I've not heard of anyone making too much of the 180 knots cruise speed upper limit for 3" N-numbers. I can tell you that our old Rocket had 3" N-numbers and no one raised a stink.

You'll have to ask Vince what the exact cruise speed was on that airplane, but I'm pretty sure that it had 180 knots for breakfast.

OK. Let's see if I have this straight. One can fly US-Canada and return with 3 inch letters (or 2" if applicable). To fly to Mexico or other points south, one needs 12 inch letters only for the return trip. Do I have that right? Thanks.

Cheers, David
Yes, and the 12" numbers do NOT have to be permanent.
:cool:

"§45.22(b) A small U.S. registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S. registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or §21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built as lest 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §45.21 through §45.33 if:
(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high...."

"§45.29(b)(1)(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191(d), (g), or (i)........when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS......"

Last edited:
OOH! OOH! OOH!

"which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built as least 30 years ago"

2 wings, near bottom of fuselage, tail in the back, motor in the front, 2 seats (but that's not external, of course).

Sounds like I can use 2" numbers on my -7.

Charlie

"which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built as least 30 years ago"
2 wings, near bottom of fuselage, tail in the back, motor in the front, 2 seats (but that's not external, of course).
Sounds like I can use 2" numbers on my -7.
Charlie

I wouldn't push it! We have a lot of privileges. Let's not abuse them.

Technically, the RV-6A does not even meet FAAs definition. The landing gear IS part of the configuration. And the 6A didn't come out until the early 1990s.

Last edited:
Technically, the RV-6A does not meet FAAs definition. The landing gear IS part of the configuration. And the 6A didn't come out until the early 1990s.

If Vans N666RV is the first RV-6A then it was a little earlier than you say.

Certificate Issued 04/21/1988

Just under two years to wait to use those 2 inch letters and an "NX" in the painted registration numbers. :)

Well, the -7 is essentially the same external configuration as the -6...

The FAA's interpretation is the "exact same external configuration", not "essentially" the same.

This has been contested before, usually with "replica aircraft".

Technically, the RV-6A does not meet FAAs definition. The landing gear IS part of the configuration. And the 6A didn't come out until the early 1990s.

Who said anything about an A? I (don't) resemble that remark!

If Vans N666RV is the first RV-6A then it was a little earlier than you say.
Certificate Issued 04/21/1988
Just under two years to wait to use those 2 inch letters and an "NX" in the painted registration numbers. :)

You're probably right. I was thinking of when the kits were made available.

When I ordered my fuselage kit, I received it several months early because the "A" kits were just made available, and several people changed their order to the "nose dragger".

We're talking a inch here. Whoa! That was exactly my point, interpretation. Where does one stand?.... For me it's THREE INCH numbers. Thanks for the leads from all of you. This question is a good one for the search engine. I did search first before I posted.

Much apprection guys and Mel,,,,spot on!

Ron in Oregon RV9A

If I read the regs right, a newly certified 6 could be painted with 2 inch "NX..." numbers AND not require the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard. Mel- is that correct?

If I read the regs right, a newly certified 6 could be painted with 2 inch "NX..." numbers AND not require the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard. Mel- is that correct?

That is correct. the "X" does not show up on any paperwork, and is never used in radio communications. It simply replaces the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard.

Got a few years to wait with the RV-7. How about 2031.

Yeah, I know :(

But then, at the rate I'm going... maybe I will be able to use it.

I wonder if the FAA could be convinced to change that part of the reg and allow all homebuilts to use it, regardless of age...

2"

That is correct. the "X" does not show up on any paperwork, and is never used in radio communications. It simply replaces the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard.

I've got a 2" NX number paint mask coming in the mail for my 6.

Ed

N number size

I actually just talked to a Canadian Customs and Border agent about this a couple weeks ago... They could care less about the size of N numbers, and he "never pulled out a tape measure to check"...

I actually just talked to a Canadian Customs and Border agent about this a couple weeks ago... They could care less about the size of N numbers, and he "never pulled out a tape measure to check"...
Good for them since this is no size requirement for travel to/from Canada, just don't expect the same treatment from U.S. Customs if you arrive from the South. They will pull out a tape measure if there appears to be a violation. :cool:

"?45.29(b)(1)(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under ?21.191(d), (g), or (i)........when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS......"[/QUOTE]

The key here is CAS, not TAS as many have interpreted.

3" numbers, but 12" numbers are required when crossing the ADIZ returning from the Bahamas.

Nann is getting me set up here.
NannApplying12Numbers.jpg

Back