What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Wife comments....

bret

Well Known Member
So here I was reading VAF while she was in the kitchen and I make a comment about peoples comments on here and some one made a comment, (that may be a fire hazard) or something like that and she snaps right back and says, well, why don't they make airplanes out of that black box stuff.......cause they always find the black boxes after a crash......I started laughing and then I thought, hu?......

The comedian Stephen Wright has asked that very thing. But he was trying to be funny. :rolleyes: He says he also has the most confused dog in the world: he named him "Stay". (Come here, Stay, come here, Stay)

So here I was reading VAF while she was in the kitchen and I make a comment about peoples comments on here and some one made a comment, (that may be a fire hazard) or something like that and she snaps right back and says, well, why don't they make airplanes out of that black box stuff.......cause they always find the black boxes after a crash......I started laughing and then I thought, hu?......

"It is housed within a stainless-steel shell that contains titanium or aluminum and a high-temperature insulation of dry silica material." So the Black Box is designed to withstand an impact of 3,400 G's."

https://youtu.be/1NK_027e0u4

Last edited:
Did I just see something similar to an 8 track tape? (continuous loop tape) some of us may or may not remember how useful a match book was for jamming under the cartridge, however, I didn't see one in the video?

Gaps

Technology gaps, This might be one area that not much has changed over time.
Much like Lycomings, If it works why change it much?... 1/4" titanium plate sounds more like a A-10 then an RV

GAU-8/A ??

How much weight would a GAU-8/A cannon and a full load of uranium-tipped 30mm rounds add to my RV-10 build?? And can it be retro-fitted to a QB Fuse?

The real irony is that they're orange.

I think it's a really stupid idea. Obviously we should be making planes out of nerf. Then we could fly them in the house!

Did I just see something similar to an 8 track tape? (continuous loop tape) some of us may or may not remember how useful a match book was for jamming under the cartridge, however, I didn't see one in the video?

The tape in the CVR is an older design, but lots are still flying. Current technolgy is digital storage just like the FDR.

I work on FDRs and CVRs every day. All older recorders were tape based but used metal scribed tape to survive high temperature. All FDRs and CVRs built since the late '90s use solid state memory (chips). The only part of an FDR or CVR that is designed to survive a crash and subsequent fire is the Crash Survival Module that houses the memory module. The rest of the unit is not even water resistant and will not survive a crash and will melt in a fire. Yes they are ORANGE! All flight recorders have a Underwater Locator Beacon attached that assists in locating a recorder if the aircraft crashes in the ocean. These beacons typically have a 30 day primary lithium battery, but due to the Malasian crash, the TSO has been changed to a 90 day battery.

Back