- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:17 PM

Default Where to stay overnight, GA to OSH

On past trips, I've always stayed with friends as the need arose, going and coming. This year, that won't work -- out of town, runway torn up for resurfacing, kid moved back in with too much stuff. And to make things more interesting, the weather in the southeast has been IFR / low IFR in the mornings (I don't fly above overcasts lower than 1,000'), with thunderstorms in the afternoon, sometimes organized thunderstorms. Bottom line is that I don't know when I'll leave, exactly. In the last 10 years, once I had a three day window and took the airlines. Once the weather went bad at the last moment and I drove, a fate even worse than the airlines.

My fallback position is to land at big city airport$ that will have access to name brand hotel$, etc., but does anybody have any better ideas? I know that at one point there was a list of hospitable RVers, but my search of VAF was inadequate to find it.

See y'all in Oshkosh!

Ed
Old 07-10-2022, 04:14 PM

The RV Hotel list shows it has not been updated since 2020 but this may help. If you were flying over Oklahoma I would offer a place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sT2...z-yQhnLX1/view

Good luck.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 07-10-2022, 04:47 PM

Ed you are a CFII, ATP and PHD in god knows what.
You should be able to command the space shuttle.
Exempt, but donated 2022.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:59 PM

Ed:

In the past, I also have stayed overnight somewhere before flying into OSH.

Iowa City use to have an airplane themed hotel walking distance from the airport. I have stayed there once. They are booked already this year.

I am in the same boat as you looking for a place to overnight before heading into OSH early the next morning.

I live in NC so will end up flying about as much as you to get to OSH.

Driving myself is last resort if I am unable to fly myself but I will be there for Van's 50th year.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 07-10-2022 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Forum Peruser

Default Overnight near Oshkosh

I suggest you consider Dekalb Taylor Municipal Airport (KDKB) in Illinois. It’s less than an hour from Ripon so if you can be wheels up by 6:00 AM you can easily arrive for the VFR procedure into KOSH by 7:00 AM. Sometimes (no guarantees) the controllers will be on the air by 6:45 and will allow you to continue. Every time I’ve flown from Dekalb to KOSH via dawn patrol I’ve had little to no other traffic to contend with.
The only drawback to Dekalb is that the numerous hotels are about four miles away, which means a taxi or an Uber is necessary. Taxi is doable even at5:30 AM.
Good luck.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 07-10-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Ed you are a CFII, ATP and PHD in god knows what.
You should be able to command the space shuttle.
Could't afford the gas... and now they're all grounded.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:39 PM

Well guys, I have a 2200 foot grass strip on our farm in eastern Iowa near Davenport, and a nice cabin three miles away that I could get you to that you would be welcome to use. I am leaving Sunday morning for OSH though, so if I am not around it would be a little more difficult to make it work. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:43 PM

FWIW On the way up from St. Augustine to Oshkosh I am staying the night in Dekalb (KDKB) just west of Chicago Class "B" airspace. 7,000ft runway, multiple IFR approaches, lower priced fuel for the area, still some hotel availability and only 1hr from KOSH.
2022 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 07-10-2022, 09:55 PM

Weve stopped in Decatur, IL (KDEC) for lunch. Nice airport, 3 crossing runways, and there is a hotel on the field I believe. Good FBO also. Ive recently reviewed possible stops for a trip from central Mississippi up to KOSH, looking for crossing runways (still trying to master crosswinds in my RV-8) with a Marriott nearby since I can use points. If you have an idea of your route I can provide some possibilities. Janesville, WI could work for you.

This year, were headed up in a 4 wheel RV and camping in Camp Scholler. Im going to miss HBC, but probably not the thunderstorms if its anything like 2021.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:45 AM

Hope the weather patterns change! Today's forecast is for IFR with ceilings at 1,000, scattered underneath, continuing till the thunderstorms hit early afternoon.

Looks like my escape plan will be to leave mid-morning and get as far as I can before the afternoon festivities, hopefully north of or, more likely, around the Smokies past Chattanooga. Rest of the way the next day.