What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tempest or Lycoming Fuel Pump?

RareBird

I'm New Here
I need to replace the fuel pump on my O-320 and have been told to avoid the overhaul units. ACS gives a choice between new units from Tempest and Lycoming. Price aside, is there any data from the field to recommend one over the other?

Thanks,
Arlo

Just one person's experience, but my Lycoming pump failed at 340 hours. Certainly got my attention! But I had about a mile of altitude, and the engine restarted and continued to run on the boost pump.

The autopsy didn't show any obvious signs of failure, as far as torn diaphragms or any mechanical linkage problems. I offered to send it back to Lycoming, but they said don't bother. Which was a little puzzling to me; thought they'd want to dig deeper and look at failure mode.

I didn't bench test it afterward, but I think the failure was caused by a faulty check valve.

I need to replace the fuel pump on my O-320 and have been told to avoid the overhaul units. ACS gives a choice between new units from Tempest and Lycoming. Price aside, is there any data from the field to recommend one over the other?

Thanks,
Arlo

Can't offer a comparison but my new Tempest on my O-360 is still performing well after 2.5 yrs and 350 hrs, producing the same 5-6 psig as when first installed.

Tempest pump installed ten years ago, still going strong. The original Lycoming pump lasted nine years. Expect any fuel pump can fail at anytime, be familiar with failure modes and proper response.

Last edited:
Brand new Tempest showed signs of oil leak at the diaphragm - always had a drop of oil on a few of the screw heads after any flight, regardless of how well I cleaned. It was not coming from the gasket between the pump and accessory case, nor from the two big mounting bolt holes.

Replaced with Lycoming brand (more $$) and it's been leak-free ever since.

To their credit, Tempest did replace the pump (but with a rebuilt unit).

Lycoming pump lasted almost 3K hours. Noticed a trail of oil out of it while in Canada. Scott Black removed brand new pump from his project and I installed it overnight. Flawless at 2000+ hours. Go Lycoming! :)

Back