- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Lightspeed Ignition and p Mag

My RV6 that i purchased about one year ago has one Lightspeed electronic ignition and one mag. The mag has close to 400 hours and my plan was to send in the mag for an IRAN when it reached 500 hours. I spoke with Klaus at Lightspeed and learned that my Lightspeed model/version is the first one he offered, and was made in about 1997. My RV was completed in1998. Klaus was surprised that my LS was still working. NOTHING on the newer Lightspeed models is interchangable with my older LS. So, what do you folks think of replacing the mag with a P Mag and then replacing the LS with a second P Mag when/if the older LS quits. Bruce Estes
Old 11-08-2016, 06:16 PM

I know of one RV-8 flying with a Lightspeed on one side and a pMag on the other. It started life with dual Lightspeeds but after a series of failures and no help from Klaus the bad Lightspeed was replaced with a pMag. The plan is to replace the second Lightspeed when it dies with another pMag.

Cutting to the chase - the two ignitions have similar advance curves so they play well together.

My recommendation - pull the mag and the Lightspeed now and install dual pMags. you will never regret doing so and you will not have the Lightspeed hanging over your head.

Carl
Old 11-08-2016, 06:32 PM

I agree with Carl. Based on my own experience (100+ hrs now on Pmags) and what I've read here on VAF over the years, Pmags are the way to go.

Easy install and timing setup/check.
Great factory support (none needed other than answering some basic questions)
They just work!

Bevan
Dual 114 Pmags
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 11-08-2016, 07:00 PM

220 hours and counting on my dual p-Mags and absolutely love them.
2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 11-08-2016, 07:11 PM

To answer your question, the Light Speed and P-mag will work together just fine.

Download the P-mag manual and make sure you understand how to wire it and follow the manual exactly. Remember, this is your ignition you are playing with.

If you can swing the cost, it is always better to run identical ignitions rather than a split system. The reason is that the timing curves are different (I have no idea how different they are.), which means the first one to light the fuel-air charge will start it burning and the lagging ignition sparks on smoke.

If I were in your plane, I would probably buy a P-mag, pullable circuit breaker, wire, etc. and put it on the shelf. Then, whichever ignition dies, replace it with the P-mag.

If you replace your standard mag, I'll bet you that the LS will die and if you replace the LS, it will probably be the mag that dies. At least that is the way things work for me.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-08-2016, 07:17 PM

I agree with others that the P-Mag is a fantastic product. Just the fact that there is no box to mount is enough for me. My recommendation, pull the light speed and install the P-Mag, then give the Mag another 100 hours and slap in another P-Mag
Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
I spoke with Klaus at Lightspeed and learned that my Lightspeed model/version is the first one he offered, and was made in about 1997. My RV was completed in1998. Klaus was surprised that my LS was still wouking
Is your Lightspeed the one with the small box and the MSD ignition? That preceded the Plasma they and are still in use. I've used his original one, his Plasma and his Plasma III. Can't say i can detect any difference in engine performance.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:00 PM

I've been researching PMags; currently have LASAR working and been ok for years but now that i have everything stripped and opened up for my conditional inspection i am just considering taking the entire system out and put two PMags.

This thread speaks highly of PMags. Appreciate some feedback on these questions.

How much higher CHT should i expect? My highest currently running 310 degrees and like to keep it around that (IO-360). I am assuming as probably LASAR (Hopefully) is also using proper advance timing hence not much more heat could be generated by switching to PMags.

Would a standard profile be ok or any suggestion for IO-360? LASAR did not publish their timing profile hence i may need experimentation to get PMags close to that.

Thanks

Rob
Old 11-20-2016, 03:21 PM

Default Lightspeed

I have had nothing but perfect service from my Plasma II installed in 2001 with over 2000 hours on it. It has never even been removed from the aircraft!

I liked it so much, I replaced a Bendix mag on the IO-550 in my Lancair with a Plasma III last April.

Two RV's on my local field started with two new P-Mags and had problems. They both replaced the P-Mags with dual Slick Mags after fooling around with the P-Mags and never getting reliable operation.

Based personal experience of over 2400 hours in my two homebuilts I recommend: One Bendix mag and one Lightspeed.

Anyone with 2000+ hours on a P-Mag please chime in.

Bruce, I'd have the IRAN done on your mag in 100 hours and carry on.

Best,

Last edited by chuckwn : 11-20-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added note
Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwn View Post
I have had nothing but perfect service from my Plasma II installed in 2001 with over 2000 hours on it. It has never even been removed from the aircraft!

I liked it so much, I replaced a Bendix mag on the IO-550 in my Lancair with a Plasma III last April.

Two RV's on my local field started with two new P-Mags and had problems. They both replaced the P-Mags with dual Slick Mags after fooling around with the P-Mags and never getting reliable operation.

Based personal experience of over 2400 hours in my two homebuilts I recommend: One Bendix mag and one Lightspeed.

Anyone with 2000+ hours on a P-Mag please chime in.

Bruce, I'd have the IRAN done on your mag in 100 hours and carry on.

Best,
Yep, 4 Pmag failures in 300 hrs is my experience, including two in flight shut downs. Put at least one mag and on it.
Tim Andres

Last edited by tim2542 : 11-20-2016 at 03:41 PM.