Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM

Post Garmin? Team X Introduces Three New Products and Adds New Capabilities

We are pleased to announce three new products to compliment our existing G3X lineup! These products will be on display at Oshkosh so please come by our booth and check out the latest and greatest! All new products and features are anticipated to become available Q3 2015.

Also, a quick Oshkosh plug. We'll be running two experimental seminars a day, Monday through Saturday at our booth. The first at 10:30 AM and a second at 2:00 PM. We are no longer located at Exhibit Hangar D. We have moved to a different location on the main road (Celebration Way) when you come in the main gate. Big tent, lots of Garmin flags, you can't miss it!

New GPS 20A Provides Cost-Effective Path For Meeting 2020 ADS-B Requirements In EAB/LSA

The GPS 20A provides thousands of experimental amateur-built and LSA customers with the simple, low-cost ADS-B Out position source they have been waiting for. Highly accurate WAAS/SBAS position information is provided by the GPS 20A and is compatible with a wide range of 1090 ES transponders, so customers have an economical path to meet the ADS-B Out position requirements of 14 CFR 91.227. For aircraft owners who don't already have a TSO WAAS GPS navigator and are looking for a simple path to 2020 compliance, the GPS 20A provides a timely solution that meets the necessary TSO performance requirements in a compact, easy-to-install package.

G3X and G3X Touch customers who have incorporated the GTX 23ES Mode S transponder or a GTX 330ES transponder in their EAB/LSA aircraft, can easily install the GPS 20A by connecting a single RS-232 interface to provide Garmin ADS-B data to the transponder to make their system ADS-B Out compliant. The GPS 20A communicates with all installed G3X and G3X Touch displays to provide a source of high quality WAAS GPS data to the system. Simple LED indicators on the GPS 20A provide both GPS and CAN bus status information, which makes your installation checkout a cinch.

The GPS 20A may also be paired with compatible third-party Mode S transponders. Additionally, a secondary interface can optionally provide industry standard GPS data to third-party systems (such as a 406 MHz ELT or flight display), for a highly accurate WAAS GPS data source.

The GPS 20A WAAS GPS is expected to be available for an advertised price of $845. The GPS 20A with GA 35 WAAS antenna and install kit is expected to be available for approximately $1,225.

GMC 307 Autopilot Control Panel

Joining the popular GMC 305 in our lineup, the new GMC 307 autopilot control panel gives pilots additional features most-requested by customers. The addition of dedicated heading and altitude select knobs combines all of the autopilot controls into one efficient control panel to reduce pilot workload. Similar to the GMC 305, a built-in control wheel also supports pitch, vertical speed, and airspeed adjustments. Standard functions with the autopilot control panel include airspeed hold, yaw damper, independent flight director and an advanced Level (LVL) mode button, which helps restore the aircraft to straight and level flight. Contributing to an easy upgrade path, the GMC 307 connector and wiring is identical to a GMC 305, so customers who have provisioned for the GMC 305 can easily upgrade to the new GMC 307 autopilot control panel. And as with the GMC 305, the GMC 307 allows for standalone operation of the autopilot as part of the G3X and G3X Touch system.

The GMC 307 is expected to be available for an advertised price of $1,099.

GSU 25B High-Performance ADAHRS

This may not be quite so relevant to RV's, but for high-performance aircraft that exceed 300 knots indicated airspeed, the new GSU 25B provides highly accurate air data, attitude, heading and angle of attack information for display on G3X and G3X Touch systems. Airspeed up to 465 knots indicated is supported by the GSU 25B. And as always, G3X customers may optionally install up to three ADAHRS units for added redundancy.

The GSU 25B is expected to be available as part of a kit with the GMU 22, GTP 59 and system config module for an advertised price of $2599 and $1,499 for each additional ADAHRS.

Additional G3X Touch Functionality

In addition to these new products, pilots receive added functionality between G3X Touch and the GTN 650/750 touchscreen navigators. The latest GTN software provides G3X Touch owners the option to tune the COMM/NAV frequency, control radio volume and swap active/standby COM frequencies of the GTN, right from the G3X Touch display. The screenshot below is just one example of this new feature and how it allows you to use the fast frequency lookup and tuning capability of G3X Touch.

Hope to see you all at Oshkosh!

Update 8/6/2015: The Rev. U version of the G3X Installation Manual is now available and provides installation details for the GMC 307, GPS 20A, and GSU 25B.

Thanks!
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 08-06-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added information about newly released Rev. U G3X Installation Manual
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Wow - this all sounds great. Questions:

1. Does the GPS 20A require a different antenna than the current G3X system? I have the standard package (dual screen) for my RV-12. Or could I install it using existing antenna?

2. In my system, would the GMC 307 be a "plug and play" replacement for the GMC 305?

THANKS

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 07-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Hello Turner,

To meet the WAAS GPS TSO performance requirements, the GPS 20A requires the use of the same type of GPS antenna (GA35) that is used with an IFR WAAS GPS navigator. So, the GA26 or GA56 antenna used with your existing G3X Touch installation will not be able to be used with a GPS 20A. However, with a GPS 20A in your system, having a GPS antenna connected to one or more of your G3X Touch displays is no longer a requirement, so you would still end up having only one GPS antenna on your airplane. Of course you could also retain the the existing GPS antenna connection to your G3X Touch display for added redundancy, if you so choose.

The GMC 307 uses the same wiring and connector as the GMC 305, so it is indeed plug-and-play from an electrical standpoint, but due to the addition of the heading and altitude knob controls it is about a half-inch taller and has a slightly different method of mounting to the panel.

- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
1. Does the GPS 20A require a different antenna than the current G3X system? I have the standard package (dual screen) for my RV-12. Or could I install it using existing antenna?
Yes, to meet the TSO performance requirements and truly be 2020 ADS-B Out compliant, you need to use an antenna that has been tested with the GPS 20A. The GA 35 is the one we expect most people will be using.

Quote:
2. In my system, would the GMC 307 be a "plug and play" replacement for the GMC 305?
Yes and no. The connector used for the GMC 305 is the same and the pinout is the same. Both the GMC 305 and 307 are mark width (6.25"), but the GMC 307 is slightly taller (2.1" instead of the 1.85" for the GMC 305). So you will need to enlarge the cutout. However, the GMC 307 uses a really nice pawl latch design which will help simplify the modification. Just get the opening 'close enough' and the pawl latches will clamp the unit onto the panel. Pawl latch design shown below hopefully gives you a better idea how the two pawl latches clamp down on the panel from the sides.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by g3xpert : 07-27-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:39 AM

Brian,
Thanks - I can't wait to see the new AP control. I am not finished installing my panel, but ready to upgrade to the new unit! Will you be open Sunday? I only have Sunday and Monday to be there. Thanks
Flying N376E
Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Brian,
Thanks - I can't wait to see the new AP control. I am not finished installing my panel, but ready to upgrade to the new unit! Will you be open Sunday? I only have Sunday and Monday to be there. Thanks
Booth opens at 9:00 AM Monday morning. We'll be there 9-5 every day Monday through Saturday. See you there!

Brian
Old 07-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Any show specials?

1/2 off a GTN 650

-Dan
Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 AM

Brian and Matt:

Thanks for the timely replies. One more question: what is needed for G3X touch systems to be fully usable 2016-2020? I'm still confused regarding the changes announced for next year.

Turner B

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Brian and Matt:

Thanks for the timely replies. One more question: what is needed for G3X touch systems to be fully usable 2016-2020? I'm still confused regarding the changes announced for next year.

Turner B
The existing GTX 23 ES coupled with this new GPS 20A and you are all set! No expensive IFR Navigator required!!!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 07-16-2015, 12:39 PM

Sign me up for a GMC307! that's awesome

Thanks for posting this guys, much appreciated