Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51dplt View Post
Pull your governor. There is usually a small screen imbedded in the gasket to keep foreign matter from getting into the governor.

Good luck
Thanks for that. I'll to that this morning.
Roseville, Ca
Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
The oil (and towel) is trapped in the crank chamber. The collar feeds oil through the crank into the chamber, and it leaks back out to the collar. Carefully dig in the crank cavity and get the remains of that towel. I would prepare to pressurize the oil feed to the collar with external oil to push any towel in the cross tube back in the crank cavity. Call a reputable engine builder and ask what they recommend. And . . if pressurizing will push the towel back into the cross tube (from the collar volume). I think it will but some could remain and get into the bearing. That could starve oil pressure there. Not good if that happens.

Good luck. I will now only use cotton towels to prevent this.
Thanks for that detail. There wasn't anything in the crank, just fragments deep in the prop hub. That, at least may be fractionally "good" news?
Roseville, Ca
Old 06-28-2020, 06:06 PM

This is a good lesson on why we should only use cloth rags when stuffing an opening in an engine. much harder for a cloth rag to be made into pieces. paper towels tear up to easy.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 06-29-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
This is a good lesson on why we should only use cloth rags when stuffing an opening in an engine. much harder for a cloth rag to be made into pieces. paper towels tear up to easy.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Yep, a red shop rag would have been much more noticeable than a blue paper towel but ultimately, it's a failure of attention on my part. I'll post what the prop shop says after I speak with them today.
Roseville, Ca
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 AM

Several years ago a buddy asked me to look at his Cardinal to see if I could determine why his oil temp was very high after having a recent annual. A scat tube runs from the back baffling to the oil cooler after making a 90 degree bend. I found a shop rag on top of the oil cooler, under the bellows that feeds the cooler. Apparently, a mechanic had left a rag on top of the engine, which got forced thru the scat tube, blocking the cooler. The shop denied everything, of course.

Bruce Estes
RV 6
Cardinal177b
Old 06-29-2020, 11:09 AM

Spoke with Stockton Propeller this morning. After I owned up to my blunder, he graciously told me this didn't even crack the top ten :-) . He explained this was more common than you would think and all he needs to do is remove the cap and clean out the fragments of paper. He feels very strongly that nothing went back to the governor. He will fix it today. Randy Thorne was kind enough to take it to the shop.
Roseville, Ca
Old 06-29-2020, 01:40 PM

So, Dave needs a new ?handle?. This forum is perfect for soliciting suggestions. I?ll start off with ?Ragdoll?. Fire away and I will make sure everyone at our airport and EAA is aware of Dave?s new handle. Dave, you are allowed to participate, if you dare.
Bruce Estes
Old 06-29-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
So, Dave needs a new ?handle?. This forum is perfect for soliciting suggestions. I?ll start off with ?Ragdoll?. Fire away and I will make sure everyone at our airport and EAA is aware of Dave?s new handle. Dave, you are allowed to participate, if you dare.
Bruce Estes
DOH!!! I don't dare :-)
Roseville, Ca
Old 06-29-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaweeka View Post
Spoke with Stockton Propeller this morning. After I owned up to my blunder, he graciously told me this didn't even crack the top ten :-) . He explained this was more common than you would think and all he needs to do is remove the cap and clean out the fragments of paper. He feels very strongly that nothing went back to the governor. He will fix it today. Randy Thorne was kind enough to take it to the shop.
Near miss - - good news!! The debris would have to get through the front crank bearing, into the sump in order to get back in the governor screen. You are good to go!

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
Bruce Estes
I'm thinking "3M". Then when someone asks "Why do they call you that?" The eyes roll and the story spills out.... ;-)

Seriously, I think we are all hoping for a good outcome from this little faux pas.
-Marc